Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Infinity, Sure Signal and Twitter

HalHovland
4: Newbie
Following exchange on Twitter, I'm here to see if you can fix my Sure signal. Its a model 9361 Home Cell V2.2. The new modem is one supplied by BT Openreach two weeks ago and the router is a BT Business Hub 3. It has a WAN static IP. I gave the Sure Signal a static IP on my LAN, and I went through the process of setting up all the ports required by the Sure Signal with a senior BT support person:- 8, 50, 500 (which required switching off a router feature known as BT Wi-Fi), 4500, 123 (NTP) and 1723 (PPTP). Other ports listed in various posts here were not required as they are used by hubs/routers other than BT. BT was able to reach, via the WAN static IP, through the ports to the device. I tried it with the Sure Signal in the DMZ and not in the DMZ. I tried it with the router firewall off and on. It brought a new meaning to Einstein's aphorism that "to keep trying the same thing over and over in the expectation of a different outcome is the definition of madness". I've tried every combination quite a few times, and I'm sure I am not alone. In the end (after several hours on the phone), BT support said it should work and so I asked about PPPoE and MTU. After a moment's embarrassed silence he said, "oh yes, you are on Infinity, I should have realised - it will not work". Even then I put it through more setting changes and tests. I then re-contacted Vodafone support - I thought "what do BT know?", and finally got the statement that Sure Signal, because of MTU and PPPoE/A incompatibilities, will not work with BT Infinity. Now, if you want me to waste any more time, before I do any of the tests, yet again, I would like someone to say that MTU and PPPoE issues can be overcome. Several articles appeared yesterday in the national papers on how good Sure Signal will be for the rural community (of which I am part), and I've Tweeted my findings to all of them in reply. Let me say these are not my conclusions but statements by BT and Vodafone support. Regards, Hal
31 REPLIES 31

Below is an early email I received from Vodafone Customer Services. Based on all that in in the forum about this, I concluded that an MTU of 1492 (Sure Signal wants 1500) and Infinity's use of PPPoE (Sure signal uses PPPoA) would make it impossible for Sure signal to work with BT Infinity (BT confirmed this when they investigated the issue for me). The PPPoA/E issue is highlighted in the email below.

As no-one at Vodafone has anything better to offer other than that I should take my Sure Signal around to any receptive neighbour, disrupt his broadband by trying out my Sure Signal there. I should then let them know if it works. This despite the fact that it worked perfectly up to the point I have BT Infinity installed, and that BT could see the device (throught he relevant ports) on the hub.

I bought an ASUS router of good reputation, and tried all combinations I could think of (but I had to stay with PPPoE and an MTU of 1492) to no avail.

My only recourse now is to claim that Vodafone is not fit for purpose so that I can terminate the business contract. I think it should be made obvious out there that Sure Signal and BT Infinity are incompatible, so I will continue to spread that work until someone says they have the combination working.

Regards, Hal

Dear Customer, Also, Kindly advice your Internet Service Provider to apply the following settings to your Router 1- Assign a static IP to the Vodafone Sure Signal Device using the MAC Address on the back of the Sure Signal Device 2 - Open the following ports Incoming Outgoing for the Sure Signal assigned IP Address Port 50 TCP UDP Port 500 UDP Port 4500 UDP Port 8 TCP UDP Port 123 UDP Port 53 TCP UDP Port 1723 TCP UDP Port 67 UDP Port 68 UDP Port 33434 - 33445 UDP 3- Make the Vodafone Sure Signal has a static IP address 4- Please verify from your Service Provider that they are using PPPoA as authentication not PPPoE as the Sure Signal is only supporting PPPoA authentication Regards, Vodafone

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi HalHovland,

If you’re on a business contract, you’ll need to speak with your business customer service team regarding your options.

Thanks,

Gemma