Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Infinity and Sure Signal.

Jimfew
4: Newbie

I have just changed ISP to BT Infinity. As expected, my Sure Signal has failed. I have tried all sorts of resets and have asked Vodafone support to reset my device and do a network reset. I have also done a hard reset myself. It still does not work. I have opened all the necessary ports on my router (not the BT hub but a Draytek 2820).

I wonder if I also need to ask BT to open ports on their servers? Is this necessary? My old ISP, Be*, did not restrict any ports but BT may be different.

Can anyone advise me.

My VSS number is 21221070754

Can anyone list all the ports the VSS needs to be open (as up to date as possible).

Many thanks, Jim.

101 REPLIES 101

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Can you take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, and then post back your results if you’re not directed to an existing thread?

Thanks

Matt

eForum Team

OK, I have read all of the items on BT Infinity and use of the Draytek 2820. I have also contacted Vodafone (who advised a hard reset again) and BT who say that outside of the router, they do not block any ports on their network.

I have now put the VSS into dmz mode on the router and reset it. Since moving from BE* to BT Infinity my VSS has never worked and prior to this is mostly worked.

I know some have got a VSS working on BT Infinity through a Draytek 2820 but no-one seems to know why this works and can advise me why I cannot get any connection.

The tech guys at Vodafone say that it is nothing to do with PPPoE, white listing, black listing, WAN routing. They still say it must be a setting on my router but I cannot see what that could be since I have changed nothing since it worked with BE* (on PPPoA).

I wonder if I need to change from a VSS version 1 to a version 2? Some have suggested changing the Draytek for a better one (2850 perhaps). Someone suggested I need to set VPN clamping to "enabled" but this option is not available on the 2820 as far as I can see.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice or help?

Jim.

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Jimfew

Thanks for your post. We'll require some further info just so that we can perform some further checks at our end. We can see from the serial number that the Sure Signal is connecting and that a re-sync has taken place, however I can see no activity for the device.

Please could you advise what the light sequence of your device shows and follow the troubleshooting here.

If you could also provide your IP address and perform a traceroute posting back your findings that would be great. You can perform a traceroute by the following:

• On a PC click on Start and select Run
  • Type CMD into the Run box and hit enter/ok
  • In the black box, type tracert 212.183.133.177 and press enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Tracecert is:-

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.11.1
  2    54 ms     8 ms     8 ms  host81-139-64-1.in-addr.btopenworld.com [81.139.
64.1]
  3     8 ms     9 ms     8 ms  213.120.178.141
  4     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  213.120.178.194
  5    14 ms     8 ms     8 ms  213.120.177.102
  6    74 ms     8 ms     8 ms  213.120.176.74
  7    10 ms     8 ms     8 ms  213.120.176.182
  8    10 ms     9 ms    10 ms  109.159.249.236
  9    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  core2-te0-11-5-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
49.135]
 10    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-5-0-7.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.254.110]
 11    12 ms    14 ms    15 ms  LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 12    11 ms    12 ms    11 ms  85.205.116.2
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

When doing  hard reset the only light on is the power light and it is not blinking. No other lights come on other than during the reset prior to taking my finger off the reset button after a power off.

Anything else you need?

Jim.

I have followed the fault check using the "power light on steady" option. Everything works properly and the DCHP is working correctly (as it did previously on BE*). Since I am not blocking any ports through the firewall now for the Suresignal, it is looking more like an external network issue.

Jim.

Still not working. Vodafone Support asked me to do another reset and also they did a network reset. So far, after two hours, nothing. I know I need to leave it for up to 24 hours so I guess I'll have to contact support tomorrow afternoon.

OK a (final?) update. BT advise me that the Vodafone Sure Signal will never work on any ethernet system such as the BT Infinity service over ethernet. The reason is that the VSS requires an MTU of 1500 but that ethernet systems in the UK, and especially BT Infinity use a maximum MTU of 1492. (As required in spec from RFC).

The restriction means that there is packet fragmentation and ultimately loss of information especially for any VPN traffic..

This means that anyone with a VSS should not change ISP to BT Infinity or indeed any ethernet provider in the UK using any MTU less than 1500. There is no way round this problem or restriction unless Vodafone re-design their Sure Signal device.

Fo me, it means I have to reject BT as my ISP or change from Vodafone for all my business phones to a supplier with a stronger signal in my area (probably O2).

C'est la Vie.

I guess this ends the saga unless the info I have received from BT is incorrect.

Jim.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there Jimfew,

The information you have been given is incorrect!

Our support teams have engaged BT about this and BT have in fact been able to set up both versions of our device on their Infinity product without issue. They have advised us that they plugged in the VSS and waited for it to configure and we're online within an hour.

This was obviously with the BT support teams and not with the customer facing staff.

Can I ask what ports are open please? Better still, a screenshot of your router set up would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Lee

All ports are open on my router (a Draytek 2820). The Suresignal is in the dmz (no port blocking). I know that you can see the VSS as the previous tech reply said that the control signals were being seen but that no actual information transfer was taking place.

What settings do you want to know. There are over 200 pages of setup info on the Draytek. One thing you need to know is that it worked fine on the BE* ISP service and has never worked on the BT Infinity service. I have configuired everything correctly including all the DCHP settings and VPN setup.

BT did say that they have had numerous failures with Infinity for customers using the VSS and now say that the device is NOT supported on their network even with their fibre hub V3.

The last time I had this much trouble with the VSS it was because of a stalled stack in your servers. Once this was reset, everything came back on-line. Perhaps I should deregister and re-register my VSS to see if that helps?

I am grateful for your help but with there being no solution I must either change ISP or Mobile network. I cannot do without mobile phones for business use here, it is killing me.

Jim.