‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Hi @gavin-oc,

I've replied to your email. Let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Matt

marcus5131
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
We have had a sure signal 3 for about 2 years and it has been consistently unreliable either not allow our phones to connect to it, taking up to 48 hours to connect or showing full signal and calls/text message are not being received or able to be made.

The telephone support team are entirely unhelpful telling me that the only way they can assist is if I take my sure signal to another house and try it on their internet connection as apparently Vodafone consider a BT infinity 2 connection to not be fast or reliable enough to know that it's their equipment at fault and actually do something to help me.

I have also been told that "this type of technology can never develop an intermittent fault, it'll either work or it won't" that is one help of a bold statement from Vodafone and if they really can produce such equipment then they should look at expanding their operations as they are the only company that sells electronic equipment that can make this claim. It's completely ridiculous!!

Now I'm not stupid, I understand tech, I've been through all these forums and tried everything that is suggested. I've had these problems with this sure signal box on both "normal" broadband and fibre broadband and Vodafone still will do nothing to help.

I've been with Vodafone for 17 years and am strongly considering taking my business elsewhere as my current experience of Vodafone customer support to be unsatisfactory

Rant over!

Hi @marcus5131,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply below including the following information:

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Matt

rud
2: Seeker
I'm having trouble with mine again :Sad_face:

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @rud  

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Amanda

mimaramo

Power light is on, the first two lights are on and solid but the In Use light does not turn on at all. This is the second sure signal to do this.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread is now closed. 

If you're experiencing any issues, please take a look at our new and improved Sure Signal troubleshooting guide

Thanks.