‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Any news? This is taking a ridiculous amount of time to get resolved.

Hi there susiebwilk,

Thanks for chasing this up.

I've requested for the SAC to be changed yet again. I expect to have an answer for you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Lee

Hurray! Finally! It works! Merry Christmas! Deck the halls! Now, what do I need to in order to able to get the SAC changed instantly the next time it fails? Is there a proper procedure for this, and if not who do I need to write to? Thanks S.

I have been suffering from this probelm for a few days now. I have gone through all of the troubeshooting on the first page with no success. I have tried to use the contact form, but this is broken! Please can one of the Vodafone peopel on here help me resolve this.

Hello simecircle,

Thanks for your post. Sure we can help!

If the Contact Us link isn't working then please see my private message and follow the details on how to get in touch :Winking_smiley:

Your PM Inbox can be accessed at the provided link.

In the meantime, could you let us know your VSS serial number please?

Cheers,

Lee

Hello - I can take inbound calls and sms etc ... but no outbound calls via Sure Signal (congested error). I've reset / power cycled the Sure Signal - all lights are working as normal.

I'm sure it's a SAC issue. I kept getting texts that I needed to update my postcode in my account - but the information set was correct. I couldn't work out why I was getting them.

Can someone PM me with a way to get this fixed please.

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guys

Just to let you know we do not have any more information at this moment in time,  we are still passing examples over to our support teams and requesting updates into this issue on a daily basis, as soon as we can share further information with you I will. 

Hi vinsup,

It was me you spoke to :Smiling:  

We are currently having a stock issue with the Sure Signal 2, I have put it in my diary to chase this up and get this resolved for you I've just seen that Lee last replied to your email confirming there is a delay due to stock. I can also confirm that the investigation into the iPhone issues is still on.

Thanks

BenJ
eForum Team

Thanks BenJ. Glad to know that you guys haven't forgotten me. :smileyhappy:

Vin
___________________________________________________________________________________________
SE P910i, Nokia 9300, Qtek 9100, TyTn, TyTn II, Touch Diamond, TP, TP 2, Trophy 7, 3GS, 4, iPad 2, 4S

_______________________________________________________________________________________

BenJ / Mods

I received the new V2 VSS today. Thanks. I connected the device as suggested and also spoke to one of your second line Tech Support guys. He guided me through the setup / replacement procedure of VSS. He has now asked me to wait for 24 hours before the new VSS can kick in.

I asked him if the 'baseband issue' of ithe Phone with the VSS has been resolved, he told me very categorically that 'there has never been any issue with the interoperability of an iPhone with the VSS'. I tried telling him that this problem was identified and acknowledged by one of your own team members, but he kept repeating the same message. Not sure what to make of it.

Can we get an update on this issue please? Thanks.

Vin
___________________________________________________________________________________________
SE P910i, Nokia 9300, Qtek 9100, TyTn, TyTn II, Touch Diamond, TP, TP 2, Trophy 7, 3GS, 4, iPad 2, 4S

_______________________________________________________________________________________

So does the V2 SS fix this iPhone issue & if so, where is mine & all the others please?

Just how long should we be expected to wait for this issue to be resolved?