‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

@BenJ wrote:

Hi Guys

Just to let you know we do not have any more information at this moment in time,  we are still passing examples over to our support teams and requesting updates into this issue on a daily basis, as soon as we can share further information with you I will. 

Hi vinsup,

It was me you spoke to :Smiling:  

We are currently having a stock issue with the Sure Signal 2, I have put it in my diary to chase this up and get this resolved for you I've just seen that Lee last replied to your email confirming there is a delay due to stock. I can also confirm that the investigation into the iPhone issues is still on.

Thanks

BenJ
eForum Team

But on the 24th of July you said the cause had been identified and the team were working on a fix. 

Don't really understand why you can't get an ETA or why you need to keep sending them more information. Unless of course they haven't found the problem and they're not working on a fix.

Ben,

I have 3 SS units 2 old style and 1 new style ,the new style is only days old and reacts the same as the older units, serial numbers listed below

21221762376 old type 4 lights

21222167211 old type 4 lights

40120124257 new type 2 lights

All three have the same problem "call failed" message on the I Phone 3GS and the call rings but fails to connect

I have spoken to no less than 10 representatives of VF, including 4 Supervisors, and 3 technical representatives in the last 10 days I have been told most of the things listed in this thread and many more besides,  funnily enough all of them point to it being mine or my modem, or my service providers fault, yet 2 weeks ago the units were functioning OK if not perfectly and I have changed nothing.

I have wasted hours on the phone, am paying for a service which has ceased to function, been lied to and  generally treated like a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed, I don't need to put this part do I !!

I had been informed I was the only person with this problem until I found this thread, why can't your support staff tell the truth we all have problems.

As a result of my treatment from VF I shall look to close my account and find a company that has respect for its customers.

Richard Winter

A month now. Seriously?

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi gfendle

Can you let me know your serial number and I will have a look into this for you.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

BenJ: here, or privately?

Ben I detailed my issues with call failing on first attempt earlier in the forum. Lee said he was taking ownership after Toby in technical support seemed to be at a loss as to why this was happening despite new sure signals new iPhones and sim cards. Lee didn't ask for my serial number and I am concerned that yet again this issue is not being taken seriously. Please could you update me on my own situation.

Thanks Rob

Actually, thanks for jogging my memory, Rob.

BenJ: I supplied those details TWELVE DAYS ago.

How about an update. Or at the very least, the truth about whether or not there's been the slightest bit of progress on this issue or not.

I'd like an official update on the status of the investigation, please. I'd also rather it wasn't second or third hand, so if you can't do that please give me a contact and a number to call.

No problem Glenn. Lee/Ben my sure signal serial number is 40111324394. Please can someone get back to me.Ownership should mean just that. Im trying to be as diplomatic as possible but from day 1 I have been given the run around from Vodafone One Net, Vodafone 2nd line technical support as well as the mods in this forum. To think how many calls I have made for support with this matter, for forking out twice on the old and new sure signal something really needs to be done. I have been as patient as I'm not prepared to let this continue...I work from home where the blackspot is. I only moved to Vodafone as they are the only network that "provide a solution to blackspots" according to adverts all over the place. A response Lee/Ben or George seems pretty reasonable ?? 

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi gfendle

I have been chasing this for quite some time and can appreciate that you would like to know what is going on.

As soon as I have any information I will let you all know. I know this is really frustrating and that I am repeating myself but I would like to assure you I want to resolve this issue as soon as possible for you all. As an iPhone Sure Signal user I myself have this problem and know its annoying and would like to get this fixed as quickly as we can.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Ben could you please email me to confirm you and Lee received the email I sent you in reply to your email?

Thanks Rob