‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Many many kudos to Lee: I have just received a call confirming a SAC change to my details... five minutes after posting.

I have one apology: the submitted email only contained the template. It wouldn't let me type any more characters into the 'Contact Me' Box - it said '0 characters remaining'. he retrieved my details on initiative. Superb service!

The fact that the SAC change was needed, does that indicate that the audit missed something?

Thanks, I hope that it works out here!

Hi, sure signal box 21197198068.

I did email the relevant details as per the start of this thread and received a reply this evening explaining how to change voicemail ring time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then called customer services and was placed on hold, then confirmed I would be connected to level 2 tech support, however some time later, still on hold, call was cut off....................8pm!

So.....if Lee can help, then ideal. many thanks

My SS serial is: 21230043933

Hi

My serial is: 21196944868

Many thanks

Guy

My serials are,

Unit 1: 21197086859 (old type)

Unit 2: 40111036402 (new type)

Both units have incoming/outgoing call fault as discussed in this thread. I have had to turn Unit 1 off so that I can at least receive/make calls with one bar. Please let me know if I need to switch it back on to receive any updates etc.

Thanks

Lee,

My serial number is 21227861370.

Thanks,

After only having my Sure Signal box for 3 weeks, I've had all the issues that seem to be very well documented on here over the last week or so. And its definately not a problem with my phone, as Vodafone have replaced my Blackberry Bold because I thought it was a fault with that, it now shows that its a fault with the SS.

After reading through the pages of comments on here two things jump out at me, firstly I don't think that this is a fault only affecting iPhone users. I believe that this is just a very popular handset, and that its a fault with the SS itself. Secondly, this is clearly a fault with Vodafone's hardware or backsystems. I find it very hard to believe that this many devices could all fail at once, and I'm also shocked at Vodafone's response.

This seems to have being going on for months, yet the only response that Vodafone has provided is a couple of the moderators coming on here from time to time saying that its being looked into. How long does it take to come up with a fix for a well documented fault? As one of the world's largest telecoms companies, with what appears to be a considerable amount of their customers loosing a service that they pay for, you would expect more of a rebust response. 

I don't doubt that the individuals who monitor these forums are doing their best, but somewhere this needs to be esculated to someone else higher in the chain. Its the number one discussed fault on the help and support forums for a reason. I'm sure that if this was to appear on the BBC's Watchdog it would attract a quick response from those higher, but why does that need to happen when so many people are already complaining...

And for whoever can help me out on here, my Sure Signal serial number is 40111646184

@ryodonovan wrote:

I don't doubt that the individuals who monitor these forums are doing their best, but somewhere this needs to be esculated to someone else higher in the chain.  

What can we do though?

I specifically asked in here for the direct contact number of someone who could give me more information. I was ignored.

I wrote to the CEO via the website (he reads all the emails, you know) about the VSS and other issues and got a call from Customer Relations to discuss the phone upgrade I was considering. No, I didn't mention an upgrade in my email. Not once.

Quite, quite, extraordinary.

Just to be clear on this, that leaves us with NO RECOURSE but to complain to people other than Vodafone because all the evidence points to them simply not being interested or not having the tools to deal with direct customer complaints.

I am having this issue too and only join VF because of VIS service as we live in bad coverage area so far Technical services has advised me that it is upload speed or faulty box this After changing handset as they thought this was the problem - if this problem is so widespread how come designated sure signal technical service team don't seem to be aware of it!!!

Heres mine: 21197238906