‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Just to say I've also been experiencing 'call failed' over the last few weeks.  When I try and redial the call goes through fine.

I was using iOS 4.2.1 up until yesterday when I updated to 4.3.3 to see if that was the issue - it is the same on both firmwares.  I would be happy to email my SS serial no. and iPhone 4 IMEI if needed. 

I to am eagerly awaiting this issue to be resolved - it's getting annoying now. 

Hi Lee

As James_Mitchell has clarified, i meant VF should roll back the firmware on the SS box as a temporary fix until you can pinpoint the "called failed" issue...not roll back the fw on the iphone 4:smileyvery-happy: Perhaps you could only do this for the serial numbers of units you've been given in this thread? Please?

Hi BenJ
Any further news on his issue? Have you looked into the possibility of rolling back the firmware on the affected SS units?

Add me to the list of people with a Sure Signal that doesn't work at the moment. I'm working from home at the moment, so this is just marvellous.

Any clues on when it's going to be fixed? Please?

iPhone 3GS iOS4.3.3.

So bored with how long it takes Vodafone to fix things when they're broken.

Hey psychopomp1,

I'm afraid there is no further news on this issue as yet.

As I've advised previously, as we hear anything, we'll pass it on.

@ gfendle - I've also emailed you to gather some details. As soon as we get your reply, these details will be added to the investigation.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

@Lee

Done. If this isn't fixed by the 12th July, and I'm not hopeful it will be, I'll have no choice but to move on. It's just silly to be dealing with this sort of issue over an extended period of time (once again!) in this day and age.

It's an acknowledged problem, the firmware should have been rolled back. Better, tested properly in the first place.

We have had this problem for a couple of months here.

We must have spent hours & hours on the phone to Vodafone & nothing has been sorted. They have even swapped out our sure signal for a exchange model but this has the same error with calls failing on both the iPhone 3GS & 4 that we use.

Is there any chance that Vodafone might actually fix this as before it stopped working it was a godsend as we are in a poor signal area?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey SWANENGRG,

Thanks for the information and welcome to the eForum.

I've just sent an email to your registered eForum address. Please reply with the requested details for both affected handsets and I'll add you to the investigation.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi Lee

Same issue with me as well.  Not sure if you caught my post a few messages up.

I'd be happy to supply my details if it will help the investigation.

Hey steffangl,

My apologies are coming your way! I must have missed you, sorry.

An email is on its way to you right now.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

EDIT: Please ignore the first email and reply to the second. I never included a subject so the reply would be misrouted.