‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi FlickLaser,

I'm pleased to hear that your issue is now resolved :). I'm not sure why the support guys you phoned weren't able to fix this, but I'll ensure it's fed back to them.

If you do need any further assistance then don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you'd like to leave any feedback regarding how I've handled your issue then please click the link in my signature.

George
eForum Team

hi i am getting sos on my phone cant do anything on my blackberry at all can someone please help me

Hi Guys

We are aware that a number of you are experiencing some difficulties with the network.

You can see more information on this here.

As soon as we have further updates, we will let you all know.

Thanks

BenJ

eForum Team

tree
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I am literally at the end of my tether with this.  I have had this problem now for 3 weeks but whoever I speak to at Vodafone they tell me there is no longer a problem

I have emailed all the info on George's email thread but no response

Please help!!!

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tree

Welcome to the eForum!

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and can appreciate your frustration.

I've just checked o ur Sure Signal teams email que which is where this query would be directed,  unfortunatly I am unable to find an email from you which is why you may have never had a response,  if possible could you send again and I will make sure it gets answered for you.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Hi there

OK, I'm just emailing all my info again, but this will now be my 3rd time so please can you let me know if it doesn't come through

Thanks

Tree

Retired-Martin
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tree

Thanks for trying to send the email again.

I have just checked and cannot see this in any of our queue's, so I have sent you an email, if you reply back to that, it will come directly back to us.

Thanks

Martin
eForum Team

It definitely went through because I got an initial reply through

Good afternoon Tree

Thanks for your email.  I will now proceed to have this looked into and see if we can get a new SAC allocated as quickly as possible.

Turn around days may be anything up to a few days and anything from 24 hours. We will advise when this has occured.

Kind regards

Reidar

eForum Team

Still nothing back since......

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tree,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear that this issue is still ongoing for you. I'm going to take a look back through our records and will be in touch directly once I know what's happening.

George

eForum Team

Hi everyone

I have had this problem since before Christmas, I've tried several resets to no avail

I logged a support call and they are adamant it's not a SAC issue and suggest I call customer services to arrange exchanging the box

My question is: has anyone who's had this issue had it fixed by a new SS box?

Many thanks

Matt