‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi MAttC9

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this. Don't worry though, help is at hand.

You'll find all the information you need on this thread to get things working again.

Sure Signal Call Failed when making outbound calls

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hi Wayne

Erm... thanks for the link back to the same forum I was posting in!

Matt

Oh no it won't! Speaking as someone who has tried every blessed hoop that "Second Line" have had me jump through, and has had this problem since Christmas last year, I still have no outgoing calls when at home. I most recently spoke with someone at line 2 called Ahmed who was trying to tell me it cannot be fixed owing to an inadequate upload speed – totally ignoring the fact it worked fine on my broadband connection (with an oftentimes worse speed) for 12 months! I am appalled that I have now been trying to resolve this sorry saga for nearly two months now. Anything the forum can suggest to resolve this would be appreciated.

Hi all,

I too have the same issue with making outgoing calls from the original VSS.  It has been working fine for months, but 2-3 weeks ago it stopped allowing outgoing calls.  The call begins and arrives at the destination, but it quickly disconnects.

I raised a support query as per the instructions in this thread, but I've had no response yet.  Please can you confirm this is being dealt with, and when is it expected to be resolved?

Regards,

Ade

I am still unable to use my Sure Signal (SS), it has never worked and I originally posted the issue on 23-09-2012 11:50 PM.

I have the SAC set-up and several times and I have repeatidly rebooted the SS but still fails on O/B phone calls.

I will give you one more attempt to fix this and then I'll ask for a refund.

Details as requested in previous post:

Speed test results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2497178890.png

DL=29984kb/s

UL=1590kb/s

Ping=18ms

Ping test results:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/76886950.png

Packet Loss=0

Ping=20ms

Jitter=7ms

Grade=A

External IP=62.254.69.137

External IP address:

External IP=62.254.69.137

Sure Signal serial number:

Serial Number: 40122912831

The results of a traceroute:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
  (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 12 ms 13 ms 10 ms cpc2-horn3-2-0-gw.6-1.cable.virginmedia.com [62.254.68.1]
  2 9 ms 16 ms 12 ms cosh-core-1b-ae1-1862.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.161.229]
  3 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms glfd-bb-1b-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.163.213]
  4 18 ms 12 ms 12 ms glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.46]
  5 13 ms 15 ms 11 ms tcl5-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.185.78]
  6 42 ms 15 ms 15 ms LDNGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]

7 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms 85.205.116.10
  8 * * * Request timed out.
  9 * * * Request timed out.
  10 * * * Request timed out.
  11 * * * Request timed out.
  12 * * * Request timed out.
  13 * * * Request timed out.
  14 * * * Request timed out.
  15 * * * Request timed out.
  16 * * * Request timed out.
  17 * * * Request timed out.
  18 * * * Request timed out.
  19 * * * Request timed out.
  20 * * * Request timed out.
  21 * * * Request timed out.
  22 * * * Request timed out.
  23 * * * Request timed out.
  24 * * * Request timed out.
  25 * * * Request timed out.
  26 * * * Request timed out.
  27 * * * Request timed out.
  28 * * * Request timed out.
  29 * * * Request timed out.
  30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Hi vince2k7, 

It's great that you're sorted now, let us know if you need anything else :smileyhappy:

@ mbookham, we may need to request another SAC change for you - your unit still hasn't update with us since 05/01/13.

Do you still have the email from our team? If you do, can you reply to this and we'll investigate in more depth.

If you haven't got the email address, I've sent you a PM with instructions on how to contact the team, follow these and we'll be in touch as soon as we can

Paul

I have just sent an email via the website.

BTW - I have checked all my emails and there was none on 5/1/13 (or a day either side for that matter).

Also there is no PM, the last one was from Jenny on 17-12-2012 07:48 PM

Hi mbookham, 

My apologies, I'm not sure whiat happened to your PM!

I've checked our email log and I can see that Jenny has been in touch today so she'll move this forward for you now.

Paul 

Thank you, Jenny has been in contact. I will await the SAC update.

Hi Matt,

I've had exactly the same issue with my Sure Signal. It's been driving me nuts for ages. Eventually customer services relented (having made about 6 - 10 calls to them and each one ending with them insisting in 4 hours time it would magically work and they'd ring me to check (they didn't)) and got me to send the box back.

I sent it back and received a different refurbished model just after Christmas. I've since plugged it in and surprise surprise I am having the same problems. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps I've acqured over the months of ownership and still no good. Yesterday I decided enough was enough and replaced my Draytek router with a DLink one again making no difference. All my port forwarding rules are back in place.

I've just seen this thread and when I get home tomorrow I'll try pasting that info into the Contact Us box to see how I get on. I'm getting to the end of my tether with it all too - I get next to no Vodafone signal at home; my work phone is Vodafone and all I want to do is make calls.

Plus if Customer Services ask me to check with my broadband provider that my line is working one more time I'll end up swearing at them.

Cheers

Matt