‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Retired-Woody
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Neil955i,

The best way to get your issue resolved is to follow our Sure Signal Troubleshooting guide. This will guide you through step by step what you need to do and advise where to post our email if this doesn't resolve the issue.

Hi Andy_R,

Thanks for emailing into us. We have your email and it is currently with the Sure Signal team. A member of the team will be in touch with you shortly with more information.

Woody

eForum Team

So...... I tried changing the postcode. I got a horrible error message in the browser but it took the change and the SureSignal instantly started working!

Matt

cannot believe i have sat for days on end trying to get my sure signal to work all i kept getting was 3 beebs and call failed when trying to call out but i was able to receive calls no problem. In the end all I did was change the post code of where I was to my old address and instantly it worked. ha! can't believe it!!!!!!!!! try it and i assure you it will work..

Craig I have just tried this..It does not work

Hi Deepskisam,

Have you completed all of the troubleshooting steps at the start of this thread?

If you follow these steps, then there is a link to contact us within this. Please contact us via that if the troubleshooting steps can't resolve the issue.

Woody

eForum Team

Woody,

I did this and George reset the server connection which made no difference. I then had to reply on the link again and have not heard anything since

Hi Deepskisam,

I have just replied to you in the other thread that you posted in. You can find this here.

Woody

eForum Team

cannot believe i have sat for days on end trying to get my sure signal to work all i kept getting was 3 beebs and call failed when trying to call out but i was able to receive calls no problem. In the end all I did was change the post code of where I was to my old address and instantly it worked. ha! can't believe it!!!!!!!!! try it and i assure you it will work

spelliott
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Had this problem since October 30th - a friend told me about this forum solution today- pity that the VSS telephone support group then I've spent a fortune with on landline calls don't seem to read it - at least the half a dozen or so 2nd level VSS guys that I've got through to.

I have just submitted as much of the recommended Template as the Contact Us Form actually allows - here's hoping that our 2 brand new, but fairly useless iPhones (at least when we're at home with our beloved VSDS box) will be able to be used soon!!

Steve

Surprise, Surprise - still no luck!!  5 weeks in!!!

An hour onto technical support level 3 last night who told me that this SAC code thing had been 'blown out of proposrtion' and that everything on this forum was rubbish.... Interesting!!

I've now been told that my first box wasn't working (although all the lights are as they should be), nor is my replacement box working so they are going to send me another box.  Which I can guarantee won't work either.......

Please, please can someone help.  This is ridiculous, I pay £40 per month for 600 minutes of calls that I can't use because I've no signal at home.