Support:

Vodafone Sure Signal

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
dansmithuk

Call quality on Suresignal

[ Edited ]

Hello.

Recently the call quality to the reciever whilst connected to my suresignal has become unusable, it sounds fine to my end, but the person I am speaking to can barely hear me, I have a 50Mb Virgin Media connection with a 5Mb upload (result of a Speedtest just run at peak hours: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1686946492.png) so it can't be the Suresignal not getting enough bandwidth for a good quality call.

I've done all the usual things, rebooted suresignal and modem and moved the suresignal away from the wireless modem, but still the problem persists, I am on one of the older style suresignals, so I think it could be faulty? Could someone clarify this or can someone at Vodafone please suggest a solution to the problem?

I've actually now just had to unplug it and rely on the flaky standard Vodafone signal because it's just not usable in it's current state. 

Thank you,

Dan Smith

Message 1 of 30 (13,503 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Re: Call quality on Suresignal

[ Edited ]

Hi dansmith89,

The speed there is certainly enough for the system to work.

Can you try connecting the Sure Signal to a different broadband line to see if the problem stays the same? I'd recommend deregistering the box via My Account before moving it and then re-registering when plugging it back in.

Similarly, do you have another Vodafone line you can try over the Sure Signal to see if the problem persists? This will help to determine exactly where the issue may lie.

If it continues, please reply back to the email I'm sending you with the requested details.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 30 (13,427 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
TopDog129

Hi Dave,

I have this exact same issue. Was on O2 LLU broadband for a year or so with Sure Signal working perfectly. Then switched to Virgin media on a 50mb line with 5mb up and a ping latency of never more than 20ms.

However, when on calls I can hear the other person perfectly but they can't hear me clearly at all. We have this issue with both phones and has been a problem for nearly 6 weeks now. I can't try it on another broadband line and have terrible reception at home without VSS.

Can you please help.

Thanks,

TD

Message 3 of 30 (13,108 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi TopDog129

Thank you for your post and it is great to see you. :smileyhappy:

So I can investigate this further I have sent you a Private Message for you to follow, once we have your response we will be in touch as soon as we can.

You can find your PM inbox here.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 30 (13,070 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
TopDog129

Thanks Dave for the help :smileyhappy:

I have responsed so fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of it :smileytongue:

Message 5 of 30 (13,051 Views)
dansmithuk

I'm still having the same problem too, is there any news on a fix as I've not heard anything for a while?

Dan

Message 6 of 30 (13,017 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi dansmithuk,

Did you manage to try any of the things I suggested in the original response? If so, how did you get on?

Do you have the serial number of the Sure Signal so we can take a look at this end?

Also, did you respond to the email previously? If you did, can you reply back to that again so we have everything in one specific email chain?

Dave

Message 7 of 30 (12,989 Views)
dansmithuk

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave,

Sorry I appear to have lost this, although I am in a similar situation to TopDog129 as above in respects I can't try another connection.

If you could email me again with some suggestions I'd appreciate it as it's simply unbearable at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan

(Removed for security)

Message 8 of 30 (12,963 Views)
Tech Team
James

[ Edited ]

Hi dansmithuk,

Unfortunately when it comes to this type of issue with the Sure Signal we are restricted to what we can do other than looking at the broadband speed which in your case is fine, then trying the Sure Signal n a different connection to see identify if it is a broadband or a Sure Signal issue.

The only other thing we can suggest would be to go through this troubleshooting page to see if you notice any differences.

However, we do need to identify if it is the line or equipment causing the issue before any exchanges can be arranged.

James

Message 9 of 30 (12,949 Views)
James1970

[ Edited ]

Good morning all, did this issue of Virgin cable & VSS get sorted out?

I have 100meg Virgin fibre and no Vodafone signal at home; I've order PAC codes for the numbers in my account and some cheeky sod in the Dublin call centre tried selling me a VSS box....cheeky when you consider how many numbers I have and my monthly spend.

Not even going to entertain the idea of buying a VSS unless the Virgin issue was sorted.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 30 (12,897 Views)
macphisto101

Hi,

Could you let me know if there has been any update on configuring Sure Signal to work with Virgin Media? I can hear other people clearly but they have serious trouble hearing me.

I have Sure Signal 2 and the latest combined modem/router from Virgin with A 30MB subscription.

I've seen links about opening ports etc but before I do that I would like to know the basics, for example does Sure Signal already have a static IP address. Is there a simple guide out there I could follow?

Thanks,

Tony

Message 11 of 30 (12,470 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there macphisto101,

Thanks for your post. There are no known issue with compatibility between our products and Virgin Media's products.

For the vast majority, the VSS is a plug 'n' play device and no configuration is required.

Could you let me know the upload speed taken from a speedtest and also the VSS serial number?

Cheers,

Lee

Message 12 of 30 (12,451 Views)
macphisto101

Hi Lee,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. The speedtest results were:

Ping:20ms

Download Speed: 24.91Mbps

Upload Speed: 1.96Mbps

Serial Number is: 40112886623

I've had the Sure Signal switched off for the last few days and plugged it in this morning where I also rest the Sure Signal as I've seen suggested. I tried calling someone earlier and still they could not hear me very clearly at all.

Message 13 of 30 (12,398 Views)
dansmithuk

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

It appears I have found the root (well so far so good anyway) of the issue as the help offered by Vodafone just kept me going around in endless circles from department to department with no-one offering any plausable answers.

Luckily we had a spare version 2 (the smaller newer one, compared to the older bigger on which I'm having issues with) at my workplace which I brought home to test.

Version 1                    Version 2

Low and behold as soon as it was configured and phones attached it is working perfectly, not only crystal clear calls, but also not using huge amounts of bandwidth which I found the old one did from time to time. 

Now the only thing we can't be sure of is that the issue lies with the older version of the VSS or the fact that my original unit was just faulty. Either way, by replacing the VSS with the new version, it has resolved my issue. Why Vodafone can't just accept that it's a faulty unit or a bug with the version 1 system is beyond me, probably because they don't want to spend money replacing units! 

Maybe Vodafone might offer me a job, as most of the people I have dealt with on this issue are absolutely clueless and I've managed to find and resolve the issue myself!

Hope this helps for you people having the same issue, basically just demand a replacement as the unit you have is not fit for purpose!

Dan

Message 14 of 30 (12,392 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

@ dansmithuk, thanks for the update here, to be honest the two version should affect the call quality and as such it could be a possibility that your original unit was faulty however I’m pleased to see that you are up and running with no issues.

Please keep an eye on this over the next couple of days and let us know how you get one.

@ macphisto101, I have added the details to our investigations however please can you also confirm what handset you are using and the software version that is on the phone for us so the investigation records are complete as everything else looks fine.

James

Message 15 of 30 (12,353 Views)
dansmithuk

[ Edited ]

I think I may have spoke too soon. Starting to have problems again with calls being unclear to the other end. 

I don't understand why on my old 6Mbps (on a good day) BT connection worked fine, but since moving to VM on a now 100Mbps line, it has problems. It almost looks like a hardware compatibilty problem or a latency problem with traffic through the VM network to Vodafone. Just as a bit of background, I've just graduated with a first in Computer Networks so I like to think I know a thing or two.

I really think a senior engineer at Vodafone should look into this case with serious urgancy, Vodafone you can't string us along anymore with standard procedures to follow. It seems to be all VM customers with the same problem, so it's not a problem for each invidivual, we all are having exactly the same problem. Doing speed tests and asking for details like our handsets being used (completely irrelevant really, but in my case it's 3 iPhones and some fairly new Nokia) etc.. is just wasting ours and your time.

I'd like to have a reponse from a senior engineer once an investigation has been made, otherwise when my contract ends in July I seriously will have to consider moving away from Vodafone to a provider which has a signal in my area, which would be a real shame as I've been a customer for over 10 years now with Vodafone and had no real problems up until this point. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan

Message 16 of 30 (12,346 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi dansmithuk

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to see you are still having difficulties.

Please can you post your Sure Signal serial number and as well as make checks at this end I can pass your details to the investigating team.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 17 of 30 (12,297 Views)
dansmithuk

Hi,

The version one VSS device I have is:

The version two device is:

Thanks,

Dan

Message 18 of 30 (12,283 Views)
James1970

I tried the sure signal and I have Virgin cable; after about 3 resets via customer service and leaving it all night it still didn't work. It did get hot though, I could have fried an egg on in the morning.

Took it back to store for a refund.

Message 19 of 30 (12,231 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi dansmithuk

Thanks for your reply. Having checked the serial numbers there is nothing untoward from our end that appears would be affecting your call quality on the Sure Signal.

One of my colleagues has been handling a similar case in the last few days in relation to audio quality on the Sure Signal device and it has been escalated to our Sure Signal project team. I've asked to be kept in the loop with any responses and as soon as we have further information I'll be on to update the thread.

Thanks

Simon

Message 20 of 30 (12,224 Views)