Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I run Sure Signal from a wifi connection

ey143
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I cannot seem to find a similarly asked question before, but can I run the Sure Signal device on the back of an existing mobile wifi device from another network?

So for example, I work in Canary Wharf in the tallest building there and I get very poor Vodafone phone and data reception i.e. GPRS.  I have a EE 4G mobile wifi dongle that creates its own wifi area and get fantastic 4G speed.  Does the Sure Signal device actually require an ethernet port cable connection or can it pick up the wifi to run?

Is it possible otherwise for the Vodafone network to run via an iPhone app, like what O2 have introduced (receive calls and text over wifi)?  I am not allow to connect any Sure Signal device to the corporate network.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi ey143,

It's not possible to connect the SureSignal via a WiFi connection at the moment. I'm alo not sure if the latency would be too high on the EE mobile connection. Typically mobile connections are higher latency meaning the delay is too large for the SureSignal to work.

On the flip side have you tried Vodafone 4G yet? If you have a compatible handset you could change to a 4G plan, from what i've heard the coverage and speed  or the 4G network is very impressive!

Nabs

Hi

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately 4G will not work on the iPhone 5.

Just to clarify, the 4G data will not work on the iphone 5 but will revert to 3G for phone and data because it works on the 900mhz frequency whilst iPhone 5 will only work on the 1800mhz frequency, thereby leaving only EE as the the 4G provider for iphone 5.

flagpole
12: Established
12: Established

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't. i agree latency mightbe an issue but it also might not.

You would need a wireless access point. they're about £25. tp link make good ones.

you would set it up in client mode. and just wire it to the sure signal. it would be nonethewiser.