Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't change postcode

Azzuri
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I haved moved into a new build house and as soon as the windows/doors are shut I end up with no service.  I bought a suresignal to remedy this but so far it has stopped working twice in two days.

I'm also having a problem registering it to the correct postcode.  When I enter my postcode it comes up with the correct street address for my house but when I click continue it says "Sorry, that's not a valid postcode. Please try again."

I've currently got it registered to the nearest postcode I can but I dont know if that is having an affect on how reliable it is.  

Please advise.

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Azzuri,

Unfortunately it can sometimes take a bit of time for a new build properties postcode to be loaded into the database and for the time being a close postcode shouldn’t stop it working.

Can you confirm exactly what’s happening when it stops working?

James

Hi.

The issue with the post is that the postcode IS recognised.  I type it in and it returns my full address.  However when I click confirm it says its not valid

As to the issues I've had...

It's just gone down again. on a night when I'm on call for work.  I now have 1 bar of signal and no 3g so I really hope any calls get through.

It was showing flashing red light, first light off, other two orange so I reset it and it did the same.  During the time I've typed this it is now a solid red light with the first light flashing

My internet is fine.

Speedtest

Download: 49.46 Mbps

Upload: 22.83 Mbps

Ping: 12 secs

I'm on Fibre broadband.

Pingtest

Ping 11ms

Packetloss 0%

Jitter 1ms

Traceroute

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.0.254]
2 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 93.186.148.1-ifnl.net [93.186.148.1]
3 9 ms 11 ms 9 ms ge-2-0-0-xcr1.lsw.cw.net [194.112.69.129]
4 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae2-xcr1.lnt.cw.net [195.2.30.54]
5 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms vodafone-gw1.cw.net [195.59.77.26]
6 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 85.205.116.2
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * *

serial numbe 40131982916

I have to say I'm very dispointed with this device.  For the cost of it I would expect it to be alot more reliable.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Azzuri,

It may sound a strange question, but have you tried it with and without a space, making sure there's none before or after it? I had trouble with mine because I missed this.

It's possible that the look-ups are using different database lists. The one to populate the details would be one specifically geared towards returning addresses, totally separate to the Sure Signal system. If the postcode hasn't been added to the Sure Signal system database, though, it wouldn't find it when you try to submit.

These details look OK, so I've tried a resync. Please give the box a factory reset so this can pick up.

For Sure Signal version 1 or 2:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

For Sure Signal version 3:

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Dave

Hi There

I did that, it worked for maybe a day or two and now as been down since yesterday morning.  I've done another reset and its not working again.

This is getting ridiculous as I can't rely on it.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Azzuri,

I appreciate the frustration here. I rely on mine at home too.

Can you try de-registering the Sure Signal, waiting an hour and then re-registering for me? This should clear up any issues with the existing registration. The hour wait just allows the system to fully update.

Once you've done it, do another reset of the box so that picks everything up.

If that fails, can you confirm the following for me?

- How do the Ethernet lights look on the Sure Signal (next to the cable socket)? Are these lit, illuminated or off?

- Are you able to try with a different Ethernet cable?

- Can you make sure that the following ports are open for forwarding: 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 (plus 1723 for BT Home Hubs)?

- Check the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size is set to 1500 (or as high as it will go).

Dave

I've reregistered it but I'm at work so can't check until tonight.  I'll check the other details then as well

So it wasn't working when i got home last night however it appears this particular issue was caused by my ISP.

My assigned IP address changed the day before yesterday and my ISP appears to have given me a IP address that is for the US as everything I use insists I am located in Washington State. 

I turned off all my kit this morning for 20 minutes and turned it back on to get a new IP and it gave me a UK one and my sure signal started working a couple of hours ago.  I've also checked the port forwarding and that wasn't set up so I've assigned the suresignal a static IP and forwarded the ports

Hopefully this will resolve it but I'm not going to say its fixed just yet...

Spoke to soon.  It's down again.

Flashing red light, first icon solid rest off.

I'm on call tonight and tomorrow, so glad its such a reliable service at such a reasonable price.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Azzuri,

I’ve checked your serial number and can see that your Sure Signal connected to our servers today at 02:50, are you still seeing the same light sequence?

If you are and your IP address has changed, can you re-run the following tests please so that we can have the latest information?

Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

Thanks

Andrew