You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
timbishop

Can't receive multimedia messages when connected to the Sure Signal

Firstly, my Sure Signal works fine for calls. It's connected fine, I get full signal strength on my phone (when I'd usually get none), and I can make calls and receive normal text messages.

But I can't receive multimedia (picture) messages. My phone (a HTC Sensation) attempts to download it but eventually gives up with a "generic network failure". If I walk out of range of the Sure Signal and in to some normal network signal the message downloads fine.

I'm fairly sure this used to work until relatively recently (the last month or so). The only thing that's changed is my broadband now uses fibre (FTTC), but I can't see how that would be related.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose this?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16 (10,413 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Re: Can't receive multimedia messages when connected to the Sure Signal

Hi timbishop

Thanks for your post here. I’m a little confused by this one!

Can you tell me if data works ok via your Sure Signal? For example, are you able to view web pages ok? Can you let me know your Sure Signal serial number please?

Thanks

Wayne

Message 2 of 16 (10,373 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
timbishop

Hi Wayne,

Yes, data is working fine. I don't usually use it because I have wifi on, but I disabled wifi to test. I also confirmed that connections I was making were coming from a Vodafone IP address to be sure.

The serial number of the Sure Signal is 21227832934. It's one of the older models.

Thanks,

Tim.

Message 3 of 16 (10,369 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi timbishop

Thanks for your reply. Having checked your Sure Signal device there is nothing untoward showing on the surface and it's connecting to the network absolutely fine.

We'll need to see why they're failing to reach you, so I've sent a private message with details of how to contact us so that we can access your account. You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

In your e-mail if you could include some examples of dates and times when they're failing whilst connected to the Sure Signal we may be able to view the failure reason.

Thanks

Simon

Message 4 of 16 (10,336 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
sthair

HI Guys,

I have the same problem - no MMS, and in fact no internet access when connected via SureSignal, but works fine when I turn the SureSignal off. 

Voicecalls work fine going via the SureSignal though. 

cheers,

Steve

Message 5 of 16 (9,945 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi sthair

Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome to the eForum.:smileyhappy:

This is rather peculiar as they work when not connected to the Sure Signal.

Are you able to receive these when on WiFi?

Just so all the settings are correct please can you text WEB to 40127 and let me know if this rectifies this?

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 6 of 16 (9,902 Views)
sthair

HI Dave,

No to MMS even when on WiFi.

Settings updated = still no receive!

any other suggestions :-)

cheers,

Steve

Message 7 of 16 (9,744 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update here.

As this is not a problem away from the Sure Signal then we know that it’s not a setup issue but something where the Sure Signal can’t transmit the data through the Sure Signal.

Can you confirm if you are able to send and receive data through the Sure Signal by disabling WIFI on your phone?

If yes, can you do a quick speed test when connected to the Sure Signal and let me know the results so we can look at this in more detail for you.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 16 (9,725 Views)
James-Farquhars

I have this problem also. It only came to lightweight when I realised that I have never sent a mms from home before.
Message 9 of 16 (8,674 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi james-Farquhars,

Thanks for your post here.

So we can look into your issue please can you confirm what handset you are using and your Sure Signal serial number.

Please can you also let us know if the sure signal phone light indicator flickers when you are connecting to the internet (without WIFI) when connected to the Sure Signal?

Also, are you able to send and receive an MMS away from the Sure Signal?

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 10 of 16 (8,466 Views)
James-Farquhars

Hi James

I am using a Galaxy S2

Android Version 4.0.3

Baseband I9100BULP7

build number IML74K.BULPD

my sure signal serial is 40112019480

When I have wifi off and connect to the internet/google play etc the phone light on my sure signal lights up and when I'm finished it goes out again.If I want to send a MMS when I am at home I need to unplug the sursignal from the main or pull the cat5 cable out.

It's the same for my wife who also has a S2

Thanks

James

Message 11 of 16 (8,455 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi James-Farquhars,

I've performed a re-sync on the Sure Signal at this end. Can you perform a factory reset of the box for me to ensure that it reconnects with the network properly?

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
• Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
• Once all lights display release the reset button.
• The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Beyond that, can you confirm for me if you can use Mobile Internet ion the phone when at home via the Sure Signal and that you can receive MMS when away from the Sure Signal so we can rule out anything bar the MMS / sure Signal combination.

Dave

Message 12 of 16 (8,372 Views)
James-Farquhars

Hi dave

I have done the re-sets but still no joy

I can send and recieve MMS away fromthe suresignal and I can use the internet when connected to the suresignal. Any ideas?

James

Message 13 of 16 (7,191 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi James-Farquhars,

Thanks for your post.

Could you let me know a timestamp of the MMS failing when on the VSS?

Could you also provide me with an example of it being successful when out of range of the VSS?

Does it affect outbound MMS as well? If so, could you also provide me with a timestamp for these too?

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 14 of 16 (7,149 Views)
James-Farquhars

Hi Lee

If you tell me what a timestamp is then I can .

James

Message 15 of 16 (7,144 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
FelixDaHousecat

just a date and time of the failed message/s

fdh

Message 16 of 16 (7,136 Views)