cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Changed ISP ... now Sure Signal v1 not working (and not even getting an IP address)

martinrtaylor
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have recently changed ISP ... and now my Sure Signal v1 is not working.  My SS v3 isn't working either, but let's leave that to one side for now.

Here's the standard information that you normally ask for:

Speed test - I'm getting around 400 Mbps both upstream and downstream.  Yes that's four hundred Megabits per second in both directions.  I'm on Gigaclear.

Ping test - varies from 1 to 10 ms depending on where I send the ping.

External IP address: 185.82.159.246 (static)

I've enabled uPnP in the router.

The router is a Genexis Tundra, which comes with the Gigaclear service.  Therefore it's impossible to change and try a different router.

Traceroute to 212.183.133.177:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.domain_not_set.invalid [192.168.1.254]
2 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms 185.82.159.254
3 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms 88.202.255.193
4 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms te0-0-0-21.rcr21.lhr01.atlas.cogentco.com [149.6
.8.201]
5 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms be2036.ccr42.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.4
8.153]
6 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms be2178.ccr21.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.5
0.205]
7 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms ae14-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.22.21]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.

etc

Sure Signal serial no 21502536143

I don't seem to be able to get past first base: I can't persuade the SS to get an IP address via DHCP.  And even worse, I can't even seem to persuade the SS to do a reset.

When I plug power into the SS, all four green lights come on and stay on.  With no Ethernet cable plugged in, I press and hold down the reset button.  After 5 seconds, the yellow and green lights on the Ethernet socket come on and stay lit steadily.  No matter how long I hold the button down for, all the lights continue to stay lit steadily (and I've tried holding it down for at least 3 minutes).  No flashing in sequence or any other such activity.

If I continue to hold the reset button, unplug power and then plug it back in again, all four green lights come on and stay lit.  If I release the reset button without unplugging power, then the three lower green lights go out and just the top (power light) stays lit.  I have tried leaving the unit connected to my LAN for 2-3 days in both states, and in neither case do I see the SS getting an IP address from DHCP.

I have tried configuring my router to assign the SS a static IP address, but that hasn't made any difference.  I still don't see the SS in the list of DHCP leases assigned in my router status.

Ethernet to the SS is definitely connected and working.  I've tested the cable, and the green link light is lit and the yellow activity light is flashing.  The SS is plugged directly into the Gigaclear router.  And DHCP is working fine on the router, the list of DHCP leases shows at least a dozen devices with assigned IP addresses.

What am I doing wrong?  This SS was working fine right up to the point where I changed from Zen Internet to Gigaclear.

Martin

4466096037.png

SSv1_back.jpg

SSv1_front.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@martinrtaylor

Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

IP address 185.82.159.246 isn’t on our whitelist.

I’ve requested this to be added. It can take around 48 - 72 hours to update.

After this time, please perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in

Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online

Thanks for adding my IP address to the whitelist.  That might explain why my SSv3 magically sprang into life this morning.

The problem with my SSv1 is that it doesn't appear to behave as it is supposed to when you press the reset button.  The lights on the front don't go off or come on again when you press the reset button.  They just don't seem to react at all.  Only the lights on the Ethernet socket do anything - they both come on steady after holding down the reset button for 5 seconds.  But nothing else happens after that.

Hi Martin,

The only time that I've come across a V1 Sure Signal with all the front lights showing was due to a degraded power supply.

It seems a coincidence, but is quite likely, especially if it is the original power supply.

This fault is documented here..... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

If you require one, they are readily available on Amazon or Ebay for around £10 inc.delivery.

Good luck,

Mike.

Thanks, I will try that.

Martin