Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cordless Phone Stops Sure Signal 3 from working

tonyvcarter
6: Helper
6: Helper

I have had my Sure Signal 3 for 5 weeks. When it works, it is fine, but after much diagnosis and testing I have proved that when I use my cordless (not mobile) phone, the Sure Signal fails and then resets itself.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so is there a solution?

This is an example of what happens:

1)    The Sure Signal is working fine.

2)    I use the cordless phone (Panasonic Dect KSTG8421E , two handsets one base station)

3)    I notice that during the call the Sure Signal lights are as follows:

1. Power – Flashing Red
  2. Internet – off
  3. Service – solid orange
  4. Users – solid orange

4)    On hanging up my call the Sure Signal shows the lights

1. Power – Red Flashing
  2. Internet – flashing
  3. Service – off
  4. Users – off

5)    After a few minutes the Sure Signal shows the normal lights and is fully working

1. Power – Red solid on
  2. Internet – white on
  3. Service – white on
  4. Users – off (not being used

Whilst trying to diagnose the problem I have tried the following, none of which make any difference:

• Changed the location of the Sure Signal, from one end of the room to the other.
  • Changed the Channel of my mail wireless router.
  • Changed the location of the Router.
  • Used a different Ethernet Patch Lead

Should have said I already spent 45 minutes on Chat to Vodafone, before I proved it was the Cordless phone.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dissapointed with the Sure Signal 3 reliability. My problem has not been resolved, but I'm closing this posting.

View solution in original position

23 REPLIES 23

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You may need to plug the cordless phone into a line filter so that it doesn't affect the SureSignal device.  These are pretty cheap and easy to get and for a few quid would be worth while trying.

PWIAC

Thank you for your prompt suggestion.

I have filters on all phone outlets and also an I plate on the main one.

Tony

Hi tonyvcarter,

Is the cordless phone an "IP phone" - an internet phone connected with an Ethernet cable?

If so, it may be down to the bandwidth available. If the phone uses too much for the Sure Signal to function then it would explain it dropping out and then resetting once the bandwidth is available again.

Just to help check for this, can you confirm the following:

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Also, can you confirm the Sure Signal serial number so we can check for anything which may catch our eye?

Dave

Hello Dave

No it is not an IP phone - good idea though! Just a normal phone.

The results of your speed test are 4.33Mb down and .37 up. From my own Router Stats the results are similar and are 5.088 down and 448kbps up.

Ping is 26 ms

Jitter 1ms

Packet loss 1%

My router has been up for 36 days 13 hours. (last restart caused because I had to unplug it for house cleaning!)

My ISP is ZEN

The sure signal serial number is 40131018810 (think I picked the right number off the box)

Sales order 4500858638

Alcatel 9361 Home Cell p3.0

Originally I thought the problem must be interferenec with WiFi since other people have reported that - hence my changeof Sure Signal location and a change of channel.

Then the other evening I happened to be on the cordless phone (I don't use it much) and noticed that the SureSignal lights changed. This then repeated the next time I was on the cordless phone - I kept an eye on it.

I have been keeping a log of failures and the changes I have been making and thought it had been up for 6 days, but of course it may have gone down and reset itself and I had not noticed.

Hope this helps

Tony

Just in case it helps, here is another screen shot from the "router stats" application.

Shows a bit more information about my Internet connection.

Tony

Hi tonyvcarter,

Thanks for getting back to us. There’s no screenshot showing for your router stats?

I’ve checked your serial number and it’s showing as connecting to our servers yesterday at 20:15.

If you’ve definitely confirmed that the phone is the cause of the issue, does it have an option to change channels too? If so, have you tried this?

If it doesn’t, the only thing I can suggest is to try another phone to see if this makes a difference.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Thank you.

Sorry about the missing screen shot - I don't know what happened there, but it did not really add anything and since the femto cell stops working, even when it is not in use, I doubt it is an issue with bandwidth etc.

No - I cannot see any facility on the cordless phone to change channels. Not sure they have that facility.

I don't think I have another cordless phone to try.

Mystery?

Tony

20:15 was approximatley the time it reset.

Since a femto cell has lower power than a cordless phone , do you think it could be being swamped. Do you offer someting more powerfull than the Sure Signal?

I have just carried out some more tests by makeing calls on my cordless phone, but today I have been unable to get the Sure Signal to go down - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I also have a sound bar with wireless woofer, so I turned that on as well, but still the Sure Signal would not fail.

I'm happy to close this call and I'll raise another if I spot a better pattern.

Regards

Tony