You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
wullie010669

Re: Sure Signal - Correct Lights on but not Picking up 3G Signal

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have this problem too. I've had my vss for quite a while and it has never been right. When I plug it in it sets itself up and transmits for a little while then stops but lights 1,2 and 4 stay solid. I deregistered and reregistered on the 13th of this month. It worked for a day then stopped again. When it stops working both phones say no service. when I turn off 3g on the phones the normal vodafone signal kicks back in which of course isn't great where I live. The vss has been plugged in showing 1,2 and 4 lit solid since the morning of the 14th but is giving off no signal. I turned on 3g on both my phones ( iphone 3gs and samsung monte) 5 minutes ago and both went no service. My vss serial is 21229344185 Can you please check it out for me

Message 41 of 1,972 (21,875 Views)
andymurray2810

Yes the phone is 3g - I cn connect to the internet without wifi and the speeds are good if the signal is fine.

I was wondering if you could send me the defaults for a vodafone with regards to phone settings and internet settings then I could compare the settings on my phone to see if there is anything I need to change.

Andrew

Message 42 of 1,972 (21,863 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Wullie010669,

I have spoken with our support team for you and from what they can see the issue is being caused by a lack of download speed.

Please can you do a speed test for me and let me know the results.

Also please can you double check the setup of the router and the line to make sure that they are both set up at PPPOA and not PPPOE

Andymurray2810,

There aren’t any specific settings for your phone to allow you to use the Sure Signal and as you can access the internet without WIFI then it would indicate that the settings are fine for the internet.

As you have tried the SIM in another phone and it works OK then the issue is with the Duel SIM handset not being compatible with the Sure Signal.

However, I have spoken with our support teams in regards to this for you and the only thing that they can suggest at the moment would be to disable the auto sync option and the always on internet connection on the phone, reboot the phone and see if this allows a connection as an always active data connection can sometimes block the connection to a sure signal.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 43 of 1,972 (21,832 Views)
andymurray2810

I have turned off the auto-sync and the always connected to the internet and this did not work.

I have looked at what apps are currently working and most of them are internet related and stopped each one of them in turn but when you go out of this mode and go back in again they are still on so I cannot stop the internet connection fully without uninstalling ALL the internet related apps...................

This is very frustrating

Andrew

Message 44 of 1,972 (21,829 Views)
wullie010669

Hi, thanks for your reply. My router is set to pppoa. I don't know how to check the line. My current line speed is 7.15mbps and my download speed is 6.8mbps
Message 45 of 1,972 (21,828 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi guys,

AndyMurray - I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point. I'll see if one of my colleagues may have any more information regarding this and get him to post here for you.

Willie010669 - Which Broadband supplier are you using? They should be able to confirm the line setting for you.

Can I also get you to try a traceroute for me? 

• On a PC :
  • Click on Start  and select Run
  • Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  • A black box will appear.
  • In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177    press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 46 of 1,972 (21,764 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi andymurray2810,

Unfortunately, as we don't supply dual-SIM handsets, there is no guarantee that they'll work with any of our products, including Sure Signal. I'm afraid there isn't anything more we can do to get this working for you.

Kind Regards,

George.

Message 47 of 1,972 (21,754 Views)
wullie010669

Hi, I've asked plusnet to confirm my line is set to pppoa. The test results are -

Tracing route to host212-183-133-177.uk.access.vodafone.net [212.183.133.177]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    36 ms    98 ms    99 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]

2    47 ms    46 ms    45 ms  lo0-central3.ptn-ag02.plus.net [195.166.128.207]

3    45 ms    45 ms    44 ms  gi2-20-231.ptn-gw01.plus.net [84.92.5.153]

4    46 ms    45 ms    45 ms  po4.ptn-gw02.plus.net [212.159.1.139]

5    46 ms    45 ms    46 ms  po6.thn-gw1.plus.net [212.159.1.136]

6    45 ms    58 ms    45 ms  po4.thn-gw2.plus.net [212.159.1.135]

7    49 ms    47 ms    47 ms  LDNGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]

8    45 ms    46 ms    46 ms  85.205.116.2

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Message 48 of 1,972 (21,749 Views)
wullie010669

Plusnet have confirmed that my line is set to pppoa.
Message 49 of 1,972 (21,747 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi wullie010669,

If your Sure Signal has lights 1,2 and 4 on then it should be transmitting signal correctly, so normally I'd say it's either down to a problem with the phones, the SIM cards or the numbers not being recognised by the system correctly. The fact that it's intermittent leads me to believe that it's more likely to be the Sure Signal itself that's at fault. If you reply to the email that I'm about to send you, then I'll be able to look into this in more detail.

Kind Regards,

George.

Message 50 of 1,972 (21,710 Views)
Johnnysinc

My 2nd VSS is showing the symptoms of camping on. Power and system light steady but no 3g. Maybe try a resync on 40112850645

please?

Message 51 of 1,972 (21,338 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Johnnysinc,

I have re-synced this today and can see that you last connected yesterday to the Sure Signal.

If you are still having issues after this re-sync please let me know so we can investigate this further for you.

James

Message 52 of 1,972 (21,319 Views)
Rallos

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately the contact us link isn't working so I am posting my details here.

– Your mobile number or account number: [removed for security]
– Your alternative contact number: [removed for security]
– Full Name: Rafi Alllos
– The second and fourth digit of your security code: I do not want to provide security details on open forum
– Address including post code: Sure signal post code - N5 1FB
– Date of Birth: As above

- Mobile Number(s) Affected - [removed for security]
- Router Make & Model - Sky Sagemcom F@ST2304
- Sure Signal Serial Number - 40110523111
- Status of Lights on Sure Signal (Please specify if light is solid of flashing in Description) - 3 light model, power light solid, system light solid and phone light off
- Are the Lights on the Ethernet Port (Where the internet cable plugs into the Sure Signal) on or flashing? Orange light is solid and green light flashes intermittently
- Is there access to the internet via the modem? (via a pc) Internet is working fine
- Have you attempted to use an alternative ethernet (internet) cable? Yes
- Have you tried the Ethernet (internet) cable in another port on the modem? Yes
- Has the router been reset? Yes
- is it a 3G phone? Yes, apple iPhone 4S
- Have you attempted to set your handset to Dual Mode? Not available on 4S, cellular data switched on
- Were other phones / USB modems active on the Sure Signal at the same time? No

Additional details:

I have had the sure signal box for 7 months and it has been working fine until just over a week ago. By way of background, the phone number above is the owner and the only user of the device these days. I got the new iPhone 4S a month ago and after moving the sim card from my previous phone to this one it worked fine after leaving things overnight for the new phone to register with the sure signal device. The sure signal worked fine with the phone for the next 3 weeks until it stopped working suddenly with no change of Internet, router or other network related setup. I tried resetting the sure signal device but that didn't do it and I've just come back from being away for a week and it's still not functioning.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated as I have no signal at all at home now.

Many thanks

Message 53 of 1,972 (21,242 Views)
Rallos

[ Edited ]
I've no idea what was done but I've just come back home after a couple of hours and I have full signal again!

Edit: Spoke too soon! Back to no service, this is very frustrating
Message 54 of 1,972 (21,230 Views)
Rallos

I've monitored what has been happening over the past couple of days and I am fairly certain that my Sure Signal is faulty as if my mobile phone is left very close to the Sure Signal device and not moved for a long time (at least an hour) then it picks up a full mobile signal and displays a 3G connection but as soon as it is moved or if it is left somewhere that is farther than about 10m from the Sure Signal box I have no sevrice.  Previously I got full signal throughout my flat when the Sure Signal box was operating fine. 

I was also in my Dad's house yesterday where I am registered on his Sure Signal and I had full signal coverage there so it is not an issue with my phone. 

I purchased the Sure Signal approximately 7 months ago and so I would be grateful if one of the Vodafone staff can advsie me on the next steps and in particular returning the box to receive a replacement device.

Thank you

Message 55 of 1,972 (21,197 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Rallos and welcome to the eForum

I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Sure Signal. It certainly sounds like something is wrong with the device.

The Sure Signal fault process is exactly the same as a phone. So, head over to our Vodafone Repairs Thread for all the information you’ll need on how to get this repaired.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 56 of 1,972 (21,186 Views)
Rallos

Thanks for the reply Wayne. I will take it out into my local store and hopefully get it repaired / replaced.
Message 57 of 1,972 (21,181 Views)
1982mikeg

Hi , my sure signal is finally working and I now have full 3g signal.

I have registered my wifes vodafone which is  Blackberry Curve and it will not pick a signal up at all?

My serial number is 40114635317.

Any ideas why?

Thank you.

Message 58 of 1,972 (21,170 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
philip42h

1982mikeg wrote:

Hi , my sure signal is finally working and I now have full 3g signal.

I have registered my wifes vodafone which is  Blackberry Curve and it will not pick a signal up at all?

My serial number is 40114635317.

Any ideas why?

Thank you.

The Blackberry Curve isn't a 3G 'phone (and the SS is 3G only)

Philip
Message 59 of 1,972 (21,159 Views)
1982mikeg

What an idiot I am.

Thank you.

Message 60 of 1,972 (21,157 Views)