cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Sure Signal need 3G & Mobile Data enabled?

JamesCatton
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I hope this is an easy question for someone in the know to answer, but it has been stumping me for days.

Both my mother and I have iPhones and we are on our Vodafone Sure Signal box (V2) at home. I am on a contract and have my mobile data and 3G switched on. My mum is PAYG and doesn't really use mobile data/3G so we have that switched off on her phone, so as not to be charged £2/day. 

I get perfect signal on my iPhone with mobile data and 3G enabled. Mum's signal sometimes drops out and isn't as strong - is that because we have toggled both mobile data and 3G off on her iPhone?

Do both mobile data and 3G need to be enabled in order to get better signal, or just one or the other? If so, I guess I'll be looking at putting her on a more economical plan with some mobile data allowance.

Hope that makes some sense and thanks in advance for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The SureSignal device transmits a 3G signal, so if you are turning 3G off on your mum's phone, it won't connect to the device. In order to ensure she has a good signal at home, make sure that 3G is turned on.  Mobile data can be off in order to ensure that she doesn't use data.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
3G certainly needs to be on. Mobile data doesn't need to be on.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p

Hi there

The SureSignal device transmits a 3G signal, so if you are turning 3G off on your mum's phone, it won't connect to the device. In order to ensure she has a good signal at home, make sure that 3G is turned on.  Mobile data can be off in order to ensure that she doesn't use data.

PWIAC

Thanks very much for both of your responses - they have been really helpful and very prompt.

P.S.

Am I being really dense, or are 3G and mobile data different things? I thought 3G was the ability to use the internet on a phone...

drey_p

You're welcome!  That's what this forum is about!  :smileyhappy:

3G is basically the type of signal you are using.  You can use internet over 2G or 3G... but using internet over 2G is more like using dial up... it will get there.... eventually... where 3G is a lot faster. Calls and texts can be transmitted over either 2G or 3G.  Typically 2G signal coverage is better which why it is an idea to switch to it.  However, as you have a SureSignal which is acting as your own personal transmitter, you'll get a better 3G signal.

PWIAC

That's great, thank you for explaining it to me!

To turn on 3G...you have to turn on mobile data. Is no one else realising this? I only have a small amount of data allowance and I don't want sure signal to eat my data at home when I could be using my wifi free! This thing costs a bomb to get better signal for your calls, and then charges you for data while it's on?! If this is unavoidable, this is a serious flaw and should be pointed out to people before they buy it!

Beth

Beth

as th OP was about 2 Iphnes I take it you have one also.

Seems to  me the easy answer is use an android, you can select signal type ie 2G, 3G , 4G seperate from mobile data on/off

isca

drey_p

@iscaisca - you do realise that the last post in this thread was over 6 months ago and there has been no activity since then? 

PWIAC