Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does SureSignal carry SMS messages?

cliff_g
9: Established

Whilst a "3G" service should be able to cope with SMS messages, I have seen no clear statement from Vodafone that Suresignal will do this; there is no mention in the blurb of SMS/MMS, only "a better signal" and I know from experience that assuming things when it comes to mobile phones is not usually wise?

Since (even in these days of e-mail) texting will be a major usage of Suresignal for me and my wife, I would like to be 100% sure SMS will work before ordering one.

I have has a quick look around the forums here and there do seem to be a few problems reported by people tryign to use SMS over suresignal

Thanks in advance, anyone

Cliff_g

Happy migrant to Three Mobile

May 2021 UPDATED SureSignal information including SureSignal Switch-Off and WiFi calling options

6 REPLIES 6

james312
5: Helper

Our SS1 carries SMS - and I assume also MMS, but never used that as it seems an expensive alternative to email - or any of the zillion apps that allow you to share media.

We were simply "off the grid" before the SS. I am amazed only 3 also offers something like it, EE and 02 users are at a big disadvantage.

Thanks James.  So that's Suresignal 1; I wonder if the SS I will(?if?)  buy (3? or maybe 4?) will do ?!

Re comment on EE/O2, next door neighbour has had a femtocell on O2 for a while now.  Beginning to wish (lack of movement on SS availability) I'd gone over to O2 (was on Orange)...

EE do have one but none of their staff know about it. Useful...

Not rocket science and unlike the phone companies to not supply you somethign wehen they are asking money for it!  I only need one as the signal here is very poor, not because I'm in a granite basement or anything within my own control!  And VF are offering a Community SS (cheek!) but we don't have the broadband bandwidth in the village to support that, hence I'm going for our own single-use one

Cliff_g

May 2021 UPDATED SureSignal information including SureSignal Switch-Off and WiFi calling options

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Not exactly an official statement, but I have a SSv3 (currently the latest, so unless you're going E-bay that's what you'll have) and it works dandy for SMS. It's in effect a mini mast in your living room, so whatever you can do when you have full 3G signal out and about, you can do at home through this yoke.

One caveat: since it runs through your router/broadband, there can be conflicts or restrictions imposed by your ISP or your router that could impact on it working correctly for some or all services. Nine times out of ten, folk reporting issues with SMS or anything else, it's down to this. Good news is, 14 day returns policy means you can buy, use, and if it turns out it doesn't work just hand it back for a refund.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
SMS doesn't rely on data of any kind. It's an essential element of the basic GSM signal and thus will always work if you have a phone signal, including one generated by a sure signal. MMS does use data.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

O2 were not offerimng anything 3 weeks ago when I was surveying the statre of the market. Someone did hint that they were no longer offering one, and trying to get users onto the wifi ap. A bit of a slippery slope that, as a WiFi VOIP client can connect you to a proper global phone service...

James, interesting.  My own research suggested O2 only provide a Boostbox to business customers, which is confirmed by this info. A colleague has the TuGo app which I think replaces it.  Interesting also that 3 provide a box free - another near neighbour is on 3 and has their box.

I do hope the current Vodafone hiatus over providing SureSignal new/replacement sales will be sorted out soon.  They are currently giving no real information other than that they will be available from the beginning of December (and still not available)  If I had a suspicious mind I would say they are trying tp phase it out.  Another rumour suggests they are bringing out a version 4.

Cliff_g