cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTC / BT fiber / Infinity - it does work...

g7omn
4: Newbie

Just a short note to those who are having woes with BT infinity.

My FTTC connection went live this morning and as with many, the Suresignal refused to work. Not a squeak...

After a couple of hours fiddling, it's now working.

For the record, this is the setup after fiddling:

40Mbps connection on BT Fibre - ISP is Aquiss.

Router: Draytek 2920Vn

MTU set at the default 1442 of the router (anything above 1462 cause packet fragmentation - but 1462 seemed to produce slower throughput than the default of 1442)

The signal has had a fixed IP address allocated (see other posts of how to do this, as it is specific to your type of router).

It wouldn't work until the following ports were opened up on the firewall:

TCP 8*

TCP 123*

TCP 50

UDP 500

UDP 4500

I initially forwarded only the last 3 ports, and it didn't come to life until I added *.

Jon.

12 REPLIES 12

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi g7omn,

Thanks for taking the time to post that - I'm sure that a lot of customers will find this useful, and it's always great to see people chipping in when they find some handy information!

Cue the Kudos points - just hit the star under g7omn's avatar if you want to thank him!

Dave

eForum Team

There are two parts to Jon's post:

1. That the VSS works over FTTC connections ... and there is really no reason why it shouldn't!
  2. There are some characteristics of the default firewall settings on a DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn router that prevent the SS connecting - I think we've seen this before on the forum. Port forwarding appears to be one way to resolve this configuration issue; I suspect that adjusting the firewall settings might work just as well! :Winking_smiley:
Philip

Hi Philip,

My post was in response to the amount of postings there are with people saying it doesn't work on FTTC and that the Suresignals are not supported on PPoE connections.

Like you I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't work, once the MTU is correctly set and the firewall is configured properly.

I was initially looking for a quick and dirty solution, which I achieved and is probably the route that most users are capable of.

However, as you suggested, the other option is to modify the firewall rules, which I have subsequently done.

This keeps it a bit "tighter"

These are the steps I used on the draytek 2920Vn, for anyone following:

Under Objects settings:

Set up 5x seperate Service Types Objects - one for each port / protocol , 8/TCP, 50/TCP, 123/UDP, 500/UDP, & 4500/UDP

(I called them SS8, SS50, SS123, SS500 and SS4500 respectively)

Create a Service Type Group, I called it SuresignalPorts, and select the Service Type Objects you have just created.*

Set up 3x IP Objects, as range addresses, these cover the three ranges of IP's required by the suresignal:

212.183.133.177 to 212.183.133.179 (I called it SSIP1)

212.183.133.181 to 212.183.133.182 (SSIP2)

212.183.131.128 to 212.183.131.191 (SSIP3)

Set up an IP Object Group ( I called it Suresig IPs), and add the 3x IP objects you just created. **

Under Firewall/Filter Setup:

Select Default Data filter, and when default filter 2 has opened, create another Filter rule (click on the 2 button if you are still on defaults)

Add a name in the comment (Suresignal IN)

Make the following settings:

Direction: WAN >LAN/RT/VPN

Source IP - Click edit and select "Groups & Objects" from the drop down, and select the IP Group you set up in **

Destination IP - the IP address that you have fixed for your suresignal on the LAN

Service Type - Click edit and select "Groups & Objects" from the drop down, and select the Service Group you set up in *

Application: Pass Immediately

You can set up a QoS if you need to. That is readily explained in the Draytek FAQ.

Enable the filter rule

Click OK and you're done.

If my understanding is correct, that now allows connections only from the IP's specified on the Vodafone's forum to be routed through the correct ports to your suresgnal.

My suresignal seems happy with this and connects in a couple of minutes.

:smileyvery-happy:

Jon

Hello Jon...

A little bit cheeky of me I know but would you mind posting an "Idiots Guide" as to how you got this working please. I have a limited knowledge of these things and am desperate to get my SS working on Infinity and BTHub3. I hope you dont mind helping so many of us out 😉

Thanks in advance

Kev

Not sure if you can add email addresses here but feel free to mail me Kevinuk32@ a very well know search provider

Hi Kevin,

The message i posted is relevent to my router, which is quite a complex small business standard router.

As with many of these solutions, they are quite router specific and I don't have a BT home hub.

There are numerous postings on the subject on this forum and you will need to research the method specific for the home hub.

In essence these are the steps you need to follow:

1. Identify the MAC address of your SS.
  2. Allocate it a static IP address on your network.
  3. Open and redirect the ports I listed to the static IP of the SS on your LAN.
  4. Wait - the connection of the SS to Vodas VPN is not instantaeneous - it can take 24 hours the first time and potentially a few days to stabilise if it's downloading updates.

If you are not sure how to set up the port forwarding of the home hub, take a look at http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/Vodafone_Sure_Signal.htm 

I know this is not your exact router, but you may be able to get enough info from it to achieve what you need to do.

Just wanted to offer a bit of hope. Had bt infinity connected last week with home hub 3. At first I thought the sure signal would not work but after a couple of goes and a few hours waiting it started working fine. For the record, I didn't change any settings and I did do a reset on the sure signal.

Hi All,

I have had a problem with my VSS from the first day I was upgraded to FTTC.

I have a Draytek 2820 Router that was working perfectly well with the DSL but when its using the PPPoE connection through the BT modem it stopped working. I have tried all the fire wall settings and port forwarding to no avail. The only way I found to get the VSS to work was to buy a cheap Ethernet router and install this on the inside of my network getting an internal IP from the Draytek 2820 and itself having a different IP address range from the Draytek. Ensure the cheap box is set to NAT from the Draytek IP. Plug the VSS in to the cheap box and let it get a DHCP assigned address.

The lights all come on and bingo, it works.

This is the first time in 2 months I have had a steady connection without any dropouts.

I think that because the VSS is on its own network that is not using PPPoA or PPPoE the VSS can create its VPN to the Vodafone servers without any problems.

I did call several technicians at Vodafone and all of them said that if I was using PPPoE from the same router the VSS was plugged in to I would be very lucky to get the VSS to work. It all depends on the make and model of the router and the firmware installed.

I hope that this works, it has for me. (I did not think it would but we learn and we conquer)

Plain and simple bin the bt router. They are junkers.

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

Hi, Did you ever get this resolved? I

have the exact same setup. draytek v2820n + sure signal.

It worked fine until yesterday until I moved from ADSL to FTTC / PPPOE.

Now it doesnt work at all, ive tried port forwarding / dmz etc :Sad_face:

Borat