Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

False move of sure signal

afrance
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have recently moved to a new ISP (with superfast broadband - hence the move) although this tends to drop a connection and reconnect every day (always with a different IP address).

I then get a nice text from vodafone in the middle of the night and an email saying my sure signal has moved and please change the address.

Well it hasn't - but in order to tell vodafone that it hasn't you have to log on to "my account" (don't try the link in the email, which is broken... certainly in firefox http:/ should be http:// ) then go to sure signal - manage it - change the postcode to the same one again and it is a right royal pain in the #####. it would be better to have a "confirm i haven't moved" button.

Now here's the good news - there is a 3G signal for another operator coming to the village. Vodafone - please fix your systems - or I walk - along with five other pretty heavy users.  I've been a very loyal Vodafone user since well before the Sure Signal, but was at last able to have a signal at home... but that's just being a nuisance now...

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The issue is down to your ISP and not Vodafone.  When you get a new connection, it takes up to a couple of weeks for the entire thing to settle down.  During this time, the IP address will change multiple times and each time it will generate a notification from the SureSignal.  Once everything has stabilised, you will stop getting the notifications. If it is dropping the connection on a daily basis, you should speak to your broadband provider about it as that isn't right.

I have read some reports of people having success with changing the postcode in the SureSignal to one that is incorrect, leaving it for a bit, and then changing it back. So that may be worth a try. 

PWIAC

I appreciate that the problem is down to the external IP address changing - which under some circumstances MAY be an indication of the sure signal changing.

However, Vodafone's heuristics could be more sensible.

a) if the connection drops and re-establishes within a few minutes from a different IP address it is unlikely to be a physical move

b) if the drop is in the middle of the night it is unlikely to be a physical move

In my case it is a new ISP (BT) and they do warn that things take a little while to settle down (it's been in place more than two weeks now though).

Secondly... they obviously have seen the problem before as the email states "3. Click on ‘Change postcode’ and enter the new postcode where the box is being used, or if it has not been moved simply re-enter the existing postcode". So maybe actually instead of that another link that says "confirm sure signal has not moved" might be useful - it would certainly be quicker. If (at the moment) you enter the same postcode you still have to confirm the address and what floor it is on.

In any event, from a mobile service provider sending a text in the middle of the night is pretty dumb.

Hi @afrance

Please ensure that the IPSEC has been selected on the router settings.

If you’re unsure on how to do this, please contact your internet service provider.

If this still isn’t working, please let us know the light sequence that you’re seeing and the serial number of the Vodafone Sure Signal.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura

The sure signal is working just fine - there is no problem with the router - i am just being "spammed" by messages asking me to tell you its new postcode (it hasn't moved). The messages by text arrive in the middle of the night, the emails have a broken link in them and the process for telling you I haven't moved is pretty damned annoying...

I am not a technodunce - but I do understand user experience, and this one just isn't very good at the moment.

Hi @afrance

Please provide us with the Vodafone Sure Signal serial number found on the device.

We’ll be able to check this out.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura,

it's 21196795054 and still running fine...

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @afrance

Location changes have been detected from 12 December onwards.

I've pushed through a location change, then changed it back to your postcode.

To complete everything, reset the Sure Signal-

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Thanks,

Ian