Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing power light only

FixmySS
4: Newbie

Ver 1 SS, has been ok for about half the time but has not worked in the past 3-4 weeks.  Had a range of various lilghts - flashing, alternating....  About a week ago it settled into just flashing power light. 

I have read many many pages of threads and other website pages - I have checked and rechecked cables etc, and have reset several times.  All to no avail.  I am very frustrated and need some help, even if the advice is that the Ver 1 SS has failed and I need to replace it.

Other threads have asked for the below information:

Router: Netgear DGN2000

SS ser no: 21197083799

ISP: Talk Talk

Please advise what to do, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I borrowed a router and the SS was ok so now have installed a new router and SS is fine.

It has taken over 3 months of frustration - notes on this forum, private messages, vodafone support via e mail, calls to vodafone and my ISP, hours spent diagnosing and trying things....and over 870 people have followed this thread.

Seems that for a completely unknown reason, the router stopped working with SS.  Nowhere was router fault seen as possible cause - suggest that is added to the help file.

But it has proved that all the talk about ports, portforwarding and the apparent 'essential' need for a dynamic IP address.....are all unecessary. 

I appreciate the help I have received but if any other product I owned needed 3 months of follow-up then I would return it on the spot and buy a competitor product.  Vodafone monopoly prevents that.

Good luck to everyone else.

View solution in original position

32 REPLIES 32

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi FixmySS,

Thanks for the update.

You’ve mentioned that your Sure Signal works at a friend’s house; are you using the same router as they are?

If it’s possible, are you able to try their router on your connection to see if your Sure Signal is then able to connect?

If it does, it would indicate there’s an issue with your router and a replacement router would be a quick fix.

If the Sure Signal still doesn’t work, I can only recommend you contact your Internet Service Provider for more help.

Thanks,

Andrew

I borrowed a router and the SS was ok so now have installed a new router and SS is fine.

It has taken over 3 months of frustration - notes on this forum, private messages, vodafone support via e mail, calls to vodafone and my ISP, hours spent diagnosing and trying things....and over 870 people have followed this thread.

Seems that for a completely unknown reason, the router stopped working with SS.  Nowhere was router fault seen as possible cause - suggest that is added to the help file.

But it has proved that all the talk about ports, portforwarding and the apparent 'essential' need for a dynamic IP address.....are all unecessary. 

I appreciate the help I have received but if any other product I owned needed 3 months of follow-up then I would return it on the spot and buy a competitor product.  Vodafone monopoly prevents that.

Good luck to everyone else.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi FixmySS

I'm glad this is now working for you.

The checks we suggest are useful in many cases, and some can help to identify when an issue may involve the router. At the end of the day though we have no way to diagnose the router itself. This is why we'd focus on components like the Sure Signal and the Ethernet cable and those settings which are known to restrict the service.

Dave