Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

Hi @Matt_B

Thank for replying, the SSV1 has been reset a number of times using the exact method you advised, haven't had any success yet, it is still not working.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ramontam  and @tilteffect 

I've checked the Sure Signal and can see that everytime we've tried to connect it has failed.

This will be down to a fault developed within the Sure Signal or a connection issue.

Please ensure that the ports are set as follows:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

If you're still having difficulties, please test the Sure Signal at another location such as a friend or family members, this will determine whether it's the connection or a fault.

DaveCD

mhar737
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I had an issue with my sure signal v2 about 6 months ago. I spoke with the technical team who tried all the usual steps over around 4 days, as everything they did needed 24 hours to work, Meaning I had to phone them everyday. Eventually they put me through to there 2nd line tech team in the uk who tried everything, it was connected to the Internet ok as it had an ip, all ports were forwarded (Just to add, it worked perfectly for about 18 months then one day stopped). Ended up with then saying that it was faulty and out of warranty. Thought I'd just try a different Ethernet lead (proper thick lead) and hey presto, connected straight away and has only dropped a few times in 6 months.
So, anyone with s similar fault try a proper Ethernet lead instead of the one that comes with it!

Hmmm  Tried that and it has not helped at all.  In fact I have replaced the Sure DSignal, the cables, the router and everything seems to be set up.

I cannot see why this doesn't work.

And sending the Sure signal to Vodafone simply meant they sent me a new one - which doesn't work either!  

I expect products to work!  

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi borci99,

Thanks for letting me know yours is fixed :Smiling:

Hi ajrwood,

Could you let me know the VSS serial number please?

Hey cotswoldlaptops,

Thanks for the info.

Everything looks fine at our end although your VSS last connected with the servers on 3 October. Does that coincide with when it last worked?

I've just forced a resync for you.

Please factory reset the VSS and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi,

Thx for forcing the resync, but I still cant get it to work.

I did the factory reset, pressed the reset button until the lights came in in sequence etc, but no joy.

Do the lights need to flash all at the same time?

Hi guys,

timhammond15 - It's possible that something has changed on the connection itself since it last worked. Can I get you to post some more details for me?

• Your speed test results from here.
  • Your ping test results from here.
  • Your external IP address from here.

It would also help to see the results of a traceroute.

On a PC

• Click on Start and select Run
  • Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  • A black box will appear.
  • In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply.

On a Mac

• Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  • Type traceroute 212.183.133.177 and press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply.

-----------------------------------------

ajrwood - I've given that Sure Signal a resync, so give it a reset for me as well.

Again, if that doesn't help, post the details I've mentioned above. With everything having been replaced, the connection remains the only common link at your end. Those details will help us see if anything is getting in the way for you.

Dave

Hi,

Ip is 62.7.178.182

ping 75 ms

jitter 5ms

couldn't test packet loss

tracert gets as far as step 11 85.205.116.6 then at step 12 it times out.

The screen went away before i could paste it

hope this helps...

I am sorry but I have no idea what this is about at all

Hi Guys,

@ tomhammond15 – As its hitting our server it should be fine, can you run the test again and make sure there are no hops showing higher pings than 200ms?

@ ajrwood – the IP address, speeds and traceroute are all fine.

Please can you post us your new serial number so we can check the registration for you?

Also, who is your broadband provider?

Have you gone through all of the port forwarding instructions?

Has the Sure Signal been allocated an IP address by your router?

Is UPnP supported and turned activated on your router?

James