Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

Hi Sukhi, Have followed the trouble shooting guide and have included all of the required port settings - however  I cannot see anywhere on our router how to forward an IP address as suggested in the guide.

Thanks

Trevor

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mattoct 

The lights you're seeing indicate an issue creating a VPN with our servers and this may be down to your internet speeds.

Please contact your ISP and see if there's any way that the speeds can be increased.

They'll also be able to advise you on how to forward the IP addresses on your router as this is something we're unable to support.

DaveCD

Hi DaveCD, Since my original posting the Suresignal is now progressing further through a cycle reaching the stage where lights 1 and 2 are solid and light 4 is flashing - and then restarts the cycle.

Our internet speed has been at the current level for a number of years now, well before the Suresignal developed the problem.

BT don't seem to be able to help with forwarding IP addresses.

Thanks

Trevor

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @mattoct

That light sequence means the Sure Signal is updating or downloading the profile. Have you tried leave it like this for over 24 hours without unplugging?

If so, I recommend you then try another Ethernet cable as these can become faulty over time.

If you’re still having problems after trying this, I recommend you test the Sure Signal at another location (a friend or family member’s) as this will help determine if the issue’s with the Sure Signal or the connection.

Thanks,

Jenny

cineriv
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi Trevor,

Try replacing your power supply, you are now getting the typical symptoms of lack of power.

Further infomation here ....... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good luck.

Mike.

Hi Mike, Spot on! - replaced power supply with a new, higher spec unit, and everything is up and running perfectly.

Many thanks

Trevor

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread is now closed. 

If you're experiencing any issues, please take a look at our new and improved Sure Signal troubleshooting guide

Thanks.

Elsomacres
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I have 2 sure signals, neither are working since we moved house. I have changes addresses, registered and have been through all of the trouble shooting in the forum, tried simple reset, hard reset with powercable in/out/in, tried port forwarding, tried just about everything.  I just want one to work!

The router has assigned an IP adress through DHCP, but the light stays solid green.

Serial no is 21231534897

Router is a belkin F7D4401

ISP is BT

Please help!!

Speedtest:

Pingtest:

These stats look top class to me.

My IP: 94.195.239.227

Traceroute:

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 dmz-gateway.silverlotus.co.uk (192.168.1.1) 1.244 ms 0.806 ms 0.784 ms
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *

blah blah blah

64 * * *

VSS Serial: 21229596511

Sure Signal dead for the last week. Power light only.

Additional info - The connection to the router is fine. I can see the VSS opening up ports in the NAT table. Although outbound NAT should take care of it - I'm still forwarding all the ports through to the VSS which is on a fixed address on my LAN.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts here, please find your responses below;

@ Beds1970, when you have a power cut it can sometimes cause a few issues however generally a re-sync will normally fix this.

So that we can test this I have re-synced the sure Signal for you today, please allow up to one hour for this to complete and let me know how you get on.

@ ssmb08, I must admit that this is a bit of a strange one as I can see that the Sure Signal last connected to our server on 25/05/2012.

So that we can test this to see what is causing the issue (line or equipment) are you able to test the Sure Signal of on a different internet connection at a friends, family or neighbours house?

If this works we know that it is definitely an issue with either the router setup or the broadband line rather than the equipment supplied and we can then target our troubleshooting towards this side of things with you.

@Elsomacres, so that we can check the registration for you please can you double check the serial number that you have provided as it doesn’t seem to be recognised by the Sure signal admin portal.

@ dannyboy1121, I agree that the speed test and the ping test both show fantastic results however without the full traceroute we are unable to identify if the Sure Signal is trying to connect to our server through your network as the traceroute should time out after hitting an IP address that begins 8.205.

Looking at the registration I can see that the location profile has detected a move which could be to do with an update from your ISP.

I have updated your location profile for you today; please can you reset your Sure Signal and let me know if the issue continues.

VSS Factory Reset

Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)

Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.

Once all lights display release the reset button.

The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

James