Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

Hi there trudie4paul,

Hmmm....I'd have thought it would have re-initiated by now.

There have been a few posts about power cuts just lately. If I had your Sure Signal serial number then I could see if it had been flagged for a resync, which is what normally happens following a power cut. Could you let me know the serial number please?

Could you post that and in the meantime reboot your router please? If the reboot doesn't kick it into life then please try resetting your router.

Cheers,

Lee

muddy3166
4: Newbie

Hi

Is anyone else having a problem with their VSS in the EX31 area. I have a steady power on light but nothing else. My internet connection is stable. This has happened in the past and resolved itself but it now seems to happen quite frequently and i am getting fed up having to reboot each time. I have rebooted this time with no results. I have the original version of the VSS

Hi 

Can you take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, and then post back your results if you’re not directed to an existing thread?

Thanks

Matt

eForum Team

i have reviewed all the threads which i did before posting this message and nothing has resolved this problem. My router is BT Hub 3 , VSS serial number 21818880698

2wards
3: Seeker
I have a virgin media super hub 2 and sure signal serial 21230525475
I moved house this week and my router was upgraded from a super hub 1 I think
I have checked your instructions. My cable is connected and indicating data transfer. I have a working Internet connection
I have gone into my router dashboard and set a static ip and my mtu is set at 1500
I have rebooted the router and sure signal several times
The power light is flashing continuously on my sure signal and I have no other lights
I don't know if its worth saying that when I reboot the sure signal no matter how long I hold it in I only get a sequence flashing of the other lights. Not solid lights
Can you help please?

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 2wards,

It sounds like the Sure Signal is struggling to connect with the new router.

If you still have the old router, can you plug this in to see if it works? This will help us identify where the problem comes from.

Also I would look in the router settings to see if it has UPnP and if it is enabled.

If you are still having trouble, I would check that the ports are all opened on the new router by using these details.

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Port 8 - TCP/IP

Port 1723 (BT customers only) - TCP/UDP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

James

Solved it! Thanks! I hadn't opened enough ports.

greybridge

I have been very happy with my VSS for over a year but recently I switched off my PC for a couple of days while away on business. I did not switch off the VSS. On rebooting my PC I have the steady green light and the solid green at the back plus the flashing orange to show that there is a working link. Having tried all of your suggestions without success all I can report is that on my last attempt, having disconnected the VSS for an hour, I did see the green lights cycle once but now I am back with just the first steady light. What can I try next please? 

Apologies Moderator - serial number 21197110170

Given that there appear to be a number of your paying customers who are unable to use their mobile phones due to a apparent failure of VSS it would seem to be not unreasonavle to expect some sort of soothing response from you!