Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

I'm also having this problem. Pleas add my SS to the list of those having problems.

S/N; 21196767152

I use a Draytek Vigor 2820 ADSL router. UPnP is enabled. I haven't tinkered with the port forwarding settings. It's been working reasonably well up until a few weeks ago. Sometimes a reset fixes it. Today it's making no difference.

Wish it was more reliable!

Thanks for any help.

Mike

andrey_vg
2: Seeker

hi there!i have the old sure signal and i have done all the steps and my sure signal still shows only power light ! so i will post my detils below
my internet is from virgin media
router specs are:
d-link model  DIR - 615
P/N : EIR615BVM....D2G
S/N : PV89198055484
H/W VER : D2  F/N VER : 1.00VG
MAC ID : 00265A1FE7BE

SURE SIGNAL SPEC

@MAC : 000E5919233C
SERIAL NUMBER : 21221752641
 F042/10

this is all the info that i have ,if someone can help will be great, thanks 

Hi andrey_vg

·                                

I have initiated a resync of your Sure Signal box. This has completed successfully so I would suggest performing a factory reset on the Sure Signal box

To factory reset the Sure Signal box:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds) keeping the reset button held down.
  • Remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button. The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour. 

If resynching the Sure Signal box doesn’t work, then this would indicate that your Sure Signal cannot negotiate a connection to the Vodafone server via your broadband connection.

I would suggest checking this guide and making sure your Router has these settings in, additionally port 8 would also need to be open. 

Once these settings have been checked I would recommend as a test powering down your router and sure signal. disconnecting all PC devices from the router and powering the router back up with just the Sure signal attached (and powered up)  once this has come up I would then connect a PC to the Router and test the internet connection by performing the following on a PC :

• Click on Start  and select Run
  • Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  • A black box will appear.
  • In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177    press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply  along with a copy of the results from running a speed test 

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

hi. i follow all the steps and now SS is work fine. thanks a lot !!!!))):smileyhappy:

Hi vchaney

I’ve called you today concerning this issue, and left you a voicemail.

If you’ve any questions concerning the resolution I’ve put in place for you, please reply back to the email chain we have, and I’ll be in contact.

AmareArgentum

I did manage to call today and advise your partner of what I have now actioned on your account. I have also sent you an email reply too.

Andrey_vg

I’m glad to yours is all up and running again.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

bphillips

Hi,

I have been a vodafone customer for several years now. I have had my vondafone sure signal device for just over 1 year and when i bought it everything was fine. It has suddenly stopped working up until about 1 month ago! I have contacted your 2nd line support twice and they have not been able to fix anything they have opened the ports. I have factory rested the device. I have contacted the provider. Nothing that I try seems to be working as I do not get any signal in my house I am getting very frustated. I am desperate to get it up and running again. Any help would be very helpful.

Router: Belkin54g

DHCP: Open

UPnP: Enabled

Provdider: TalkTalk

Serial Number: 21197195908

Thanks

Ben

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi samaymishra, bexiclepop88 and bphillips

Thank you for your posts, I understand your frustration as mobile devices have become such an integral part of everyday lives.

Please could you take a look at the very first post and post your results back here in order for us to investigate.

Please also ensure you reset both your Sure Signal boxes and also your router to ensure they are cleared, even if you have done this before so we can ensure they not conflicting.

Thank you in advance.

DaveCD

eForum Team

I am trying to set up an original SureSignal. I've registered it to my Vodafone account and it is shown as Status: Registered.

When I plug it in, it goes through the following sequence of lights:

1. power - steady
  2. all lights flash in sequence
  3. power - steady for about 80-90 seconds
  4. power - flashing

I have followed the steps in the first post. I can see the device getting an IP address from the DHCP server. I can ping it. I can get to the Vodafone's NTP server from another device on the same LAN.

I have rebooted the router, waited, and rebooted SureSignal multiple times.

The serial number of the device is 21227749005.

Please advise.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey azvero,

Please could you try de-registering and re-registering the device please?

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Sapstead

Hi,

My Sure Signal is doing the whole flashing power light thing.. I've re-setted it a few times and the same problem keeps happening. Also i have been on my netgear router settings and found that the Sure Signal had already connected with the router. As it is already connected to the router and is still just showing the flashing power light (as well as the two lights on the back) I am just wondering what i need to do to be able to solve my problem. Also if this is any help, when i have entered all details and submitted them it comes up with the message "Sorry, we're having a technical problem at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes."

Thanks very much,

Ryan.