Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

lee
Will u force a resync on mine Im so tired of waiting how do you pick and choose who you re sync.
Serial number 21229058801
Thanks

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey sylv,

Cheers for your post. I've just done that for you.

You need to factory reset your device and you should be ready to go.

We don't pick and choose, sylv! We are allocated posts to work on a first come, first served basis. If others have posted since the first reply was logged, then I feel a duty to do my best to address all posters at the same time :Winking_smiley:

To factory reset:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds) keeping the reset button held down.
  • Remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button. The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi,

My SS is not working.I'm getting a flashing power light.

SS box no: 21197218163

SS has an IP address assigned, which I can ping from my laptop.

Traceroute shows that I can access the servers (See below).

I'm not sure how to proceed. The box was working well for nearly a year.

Vince

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1)  3.364 ms  0.651 ms  0.994 ms
 2  losubs.subs.dsl1.mbr-roch.zen.net.uk (62.3.82.17)  27.600 ms  33.196 ms  28.683 ms
 3  ae0-136.cr1.mbr-roch.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.137)  29.156 ms  27.877 ms  28.454 ms
 4  ae2-0.cr1.kp-leeds.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.70)  29.949 ms  28.683 ms  31.441 ms
 5  ge-3-1-0-0.cr2.kp-leeds.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.74)  28.484 ms  28.461 ms  29.783 ms
 6  ge-3-0-0-0.cr1.th-lon.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.78)  32.994 ms  63.078 ms  36.173 ms
 7  sl-gw23-lon-11-1-0.sprintlink.net (82.195.189.65)  36.675 ms  34.053 ms  34.041 ms
 8  sl-bb23-lon-9-0-0.sprintlink.net (213.206.128.62)  35.372 ms  34.426 ms  34.627 ms
 9  sl-bb20-lon-3-0-0.sprintlink.net (213.206.129.150)  36.511 ms  34.977 ms  35.588 ms
10  213.206.131.26 (213.206.131.26)  33.892 ms  37.126 ms  39.864 ms
11  vodafone-ltd.tengigabitethernet7-1.ar6.lon3.gblx.net (64.214.144.122)  46.017 ms  45.861 ms  43.586 ms

Hi Lee, would you please be able to force a resync at my sure signals as my message (copied below) on another thread hasn't been picked up as of yet (and i have little/no signal at both my addresses!!)

Many thanks

Tom

The serial number for my sure signal (V1) based at BB7 4PY is 21224323952.  The serial number for my other sure signal (V2) based at cw2 5fh is 40110712193.  It appears both of them have the same fault (a steady power light only, a green light on v1 and a red light on v2).  I have deregistered and re-registered v2 as it has never worked properly.  V1 stopped working approx 3-4 weeks ago (just before i purchased v2 for my new house).  if you could resync my suresignals or whatever it takes that would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards

Tom

Lee

Thanks for the response, does that mean that I have to post say every hour in order to get a response as I have been posting for a week now and only had two replies when I get a bit cross?  

I have tried a factory reset once again, the lights come on in sequence and then go out aprt from power then after 5 mins Im back to the flashing power light yet again.

Whatever has made this happen to so many boxes need to be sorted asap.  I have 5 contracts linked to this box in order to make a call in my house.  I will be leaving Vodafone if this is not sorted, Ive not been able to make calls/receive calls for a week now and Im paying for this kind of service.!!!!, would you pay for this???

I know its not your fault and you are taking the brunt of people frustration but where else do we go? you cant get an answer if you ring, you ccant deal with all the posts on this forum, theres far too many now!!

Where is the customer service for valued customers, or any service, we cant use our phones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If by any mirale something happens to the box overnight i will post again tomorrow and let you know, but not much faith in that happening really.

Looks like it Ill be going to the Vodafone shop Saturday, I cant do another week like this.

Regards

Sylv

Hello Lee

Thanks for your reply just to confirm yes i have 2 suresignal units and both are not working.

Regards de-registering the units and re-registering ive done this 6 times since this issue first started  (17 days ago) on 10th May

Being honest i think these version 2 suresignals i just recieved are terrible and would prefer 2 of older versions again

Kind Regards

Digi

Hi Vodafone,

Hope you can help.

We are having a problem with our SS suddenly after a year wihout problems.

I have check all the settings etc as suggested throughout the message boards and have also spent half my day on the phone to support. The engineer were able to verify all ports were opened correctly etc but its still broken! He asked me to call Virgin to see if they had made changes, they haven't.

We have a solid light power on the box and thats it, been like it since 25th May now.

Serial number is 21197206531

Netgear WNR2000v2

ISP Virgin

What do we do now? I live in an area surrounded by trees and have a newborn baby to look after with no Mobile signal to the outside world :Sad_face:

Please advise

Sam

Lee,

Much regret to report that your resynch did not work

I have tried a reset as well to no avail

still got a flashing power light here too.

Hi SeanGlasspool,

Don't worry; I'm not ignoring you :Winking_smiley: I just got a little lost in all the names I had to reply to just now.

I can see that George forced a resync for you a couple of days ago judging by his reply to your post in another thread.

If the resync hasn't worked, then you just need to perform a factory reset.

To factory reset:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds) keeping the reset button held down.
  • Remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button. The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team