Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

I have now switched my BT home hub out for a Netgear D834G, and my VSS is now functioning correctly, no additional configuration required.

BT have contacted me suggesting a full factory reset will respolve the issue however I have not done this as I am just content to have the device working again.

I would still very much like to understand the root cause of these issues.

Grim_R
2: Seeker

Hi,

I received a new SureSignal on 13/05/11, and it still currently has only the power light on. If you cycle the power, the 2 other lights flash for a while then go out. I have been thropugh the troubleshooting guide and carried out the following steps:Confirmed the SS is being allocated a local IP by the router, confirmed I can trace roure as far as the Vodafone servers(59mS RTT), run speedtest (6.3Mbps down, 0.33 up), Forwarded ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 (and now I have assigned it to a DMZ) and confirmed that the SS is registered with VF (the dashboard lists it as Status active ). I have re-set my router, although I believe the same IP will have been allocated.

My ISP is PlusNet, with fairly typical speed for a Market 1 exchange.

My router is a BT HomeHub 2

My SS serial numbner is 40111324253 

Any update of the status would be appriciated.

Speedtest result:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1296952404.png

Tracert result:

Tracing route to host212-183-133-177.uk.access.vodafone.net [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    67 ms    99 ms    99 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]

2    52 ms    50 ms    52 ms  lo0-central1.pcl-ag07.plus.net

[195.166.130.58]

3    49 ms    49 ms    49 ms  gi7-10-711.pcl-gw01.plus.net [84.93.254.209]

4    49 ms    49 ms    49 ms  po4.pcl-gw02.plus.net [212.159.1.129]

5    49 ms    49 ms    49 ms  195.50.122.129

6    48 ms    49 ms    49 ms  ae-1-51.edge3.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.73]

7    49 ms    50 ms    50 ms  glbx [4.68.62.246]

8    59 ms    58 ms    58ms  VODAFONE-LTD.TenGigabitEthernet7-1.ar6.LON3.gblx.net [64.214.144.122]

I have had my sure signal for since Nov 09 & it has stopped working previously on a number of occasions, but on phoning vodafone it has been sorted quite quickly. This time however it hasn't & it's still not working. For the past week I have only had the first light illuminated (solid), until I tried a reboot tonight where I now have the first light flashing and nothing else.

my SS serial no is 21196795419
my router is D-LINK DSL-2640R
my ISP is talktalk

please help!!!!!!!

mw3ybx

After having my SS for 3 days now and having no luck to registering it... Over 1 hour of phone calls over 3 days to the technical team fobbing me off with crap only to find my SS serial number  that I had from a voda shop was not even on there system.... After another phone call today using the 0845 number so I get straight to the tech team, so it is using my balance and they tell me that they have escalated this to the next tier of techies and they will have to put my serial number on the system. This might take another 24 to 48 hours bearing in mind there is a weekend in between so it may not be till atleast Monday.. Nearly a week since I had it and they gave it to me to stop me from leaving them as the signal where I live is non existent, even thou they say I should have a strong 2g signal...mmm No...So I wish I just bloody cancelled the contracts...IM seriously loosing patience with vodafone... I would not rate them at all... Wish I went with t mobile now like I should of in the first place...

Suresignal still not working even though tech support are saying the issue has been resolved

I am now getting really annoyed as im constanly being told by tech support them to check the ports even though i tell them i have do this twice a day every time i contact tech support maybe i should get a translator to speak to them as they not listening to a word i am saying!

Can a member of staff on eforum please escalate my issue again please!

Serial Number  40111029183

Kind Regards

Digi

lucy218

Hi.  My serial number is 21221971035.

I haven't had service from Sure Signal for over a week - my husband and I can't make/receive calls and my husband can't even send or receive texts.  I really need someone to look into this and fix the problem, please.

I've tried a factory reset every day so far with no luck - tried one a few hours ago and I'm still left with just a flashing power light.

Looking forward to hearing from the Vodafone team.  If there's anything I can do to get this sorted ASAP, please let me know...it's getting very frustrating!

Thanks

Lucy

Hello All,

I think I may have a good news to many of you with VF SureSignal problems.

My Power light was flashing or was constanly on, but other lights were off. I spent 5 months (!)  with Vodafone trying resolve this problem, but no luck.

Finally, I went through very details how SureSignal box works and figured out that there may be a problem geo-locating my IP address. I checked when my IP address changed (I have O2 broadband) and it matched exactly the period when i noticed that SureSignal stopped working.

My advice is that if your IP changed recently and subsequently SureSignal gave up you will have to contact you ISP. Ask them to change your IP address (any other random IP will probably work) or get static IP. I bought static IP address and as soon as they changed it SureSignal worked instantly!

Good luck to all!!

Roman

Mpercy
Hello I can't seem to get my SS V2 to work

SN 40111129454

Assigned static IP , Port Fowarding set up

Tracing route to host212-183-133-177.uk.access.vodafone.net [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 56 ms 94 ms 99 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 37 ms 51 ms 36 ms lo0-central6.pcl-ag01.plus.net [195.166.130.87]

3 33 ms 34 ms 51 ms gi7-1-162.pcl-gw02.plus.net [84.93.255.83]
4 36 ms 34 ms 95 ms 195.50.122.129
5 34 ms 36 ms 59 ms ae-2-52.edge3.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.105]

6 45 ms 38 ms 33 ms ge5-3-0-1000M.ar2.LON3.gblx.net [208.50.13.193]

7 62 ms 45 ms 59 ms VODAFONE-LTD.TenGigabitEthernet7-1.ar6.LON3.gblx
.net [64.214.144.122]
8 * * * Request timed out.

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mpercy

Welcome to the eForum!

I suspect from reading your post that there might be a problem with the static IP address.

So that we can help you further I have sent you an email. If you can fill in all the details we need I will be in contact shortly.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

sh

My Suresignal has been working perfectly for many months and now has suddenly only the top green light permanently on. I have worked through the various troubleshooting steps as best I can but still can't resolve the problem. My router is a BT Home Hub 2.0 and BT is my ISP. My suresignal serial number is 21197227818.

Please can you help resolve this. Thank you