Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

Hi jemwyatt65,

Firstly I would like to wish you a very warm welcome to the eForum. To best resolve your issue, please first try our Sure Signal Troubleshooting Guide. This will guide you through what you need to do and how to contact us if this doesn't resolve it

Hi cheadle3G,

I will get you another email sent now.

Woody

eForum Team

Hi, I have had my Sure Signal for just less than 12 mths and no issues whatsoever and great signal in what is a renowned poor signal area.

However, last week the Sure Signal stopped providing the necessary signal and the only light on is the power light - constant.

I have followed the trouble shooting and to no avail and I have lost my patience now!

To recap what I have done and what I have achieved:

1. Changed LAN cable - no change still only green light - the only time the orange data light comes on is when I hold the reset button!

2. Turned power off for 10 seconds - if not more - no change

Help - please!!

Thanks,

John

Hi oldmanmille

Let me welcome you to the Vodafone eForum family. It's always nice to have new faces around here. :Smiling:

Can I ask who supplies your broadband?

You may well be effected by the router firmware updates if it's supplied by Sky.

If not, as you've already tried all the trouble shooting advice, there's some further details I need to investigate this further for you. To facilitate this I have sent an email to your eForum registered address, and if you can kindly complete and return this, I'll be able to assist further in this matter.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Hi Woody.

Sorry, but your reply is not very helpful. I had already checked the trouble-shooter before posting.

As I said, I can see the at the SS has an IP address. The trouble shooter does not say what to do next.

If reset, it sometimes works for a few minutes then drops off again

Ethernet is showing correct lights

yes I have a net connection

yes, I am rather frustrated by the whole process.

Jeremy

Please can you try sending the support email again. It seems to have got lost in the net somewhere.

Hi jemwyatt65

I've resent this for you :Smiling:

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

Hi.  Any chance of a response to my post yesterday, please?  I'm not enjoying the experience of being without phone signal!

Thanks

Lucy

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lucy218

I’m sorry for any delay in getting back to you.:(

I have just forced a resync on your VSS unit for you, and hopefully this should resolve your issue. If you can restart and try your unit, and let me know if you are still having any issues.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Hi

Thank you so much for your help with this - I did the reset again and Sure Signal is now working for me!

Thanks

Lucy

mwhale
1: Seeker

Is anyone else concerned at allowing their Sureway signal to be accessed over the internet through your home secure router?  I dont see this as much as a firmware upgrade as this was never required previously!

Why do Vodafone require us to do this?  How do we know that this is not a hack?  Because it would be very easy for someone to get your remote ISP address, and now they know the address will forward to the ports specified!

Does vodafone clearly give documentation of what is requried to set up the router?  Which ports and what source the requests will be made from?

Thanks