Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

johnnyh40
Not applicable

This thread has been created to discuss, and troubleshoot a specific issue that some Sure Signal users may encounter during setup.

This issue presents the following symptoms:

• The power light (light 1) on the Sure Signal flashes constantly, or the power light remains steady
  • No other lights on the Sure Signal flash or light up.
Please note that both the light flashing and the light being steady indicates the same issue, that is the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet. The only difference is that if the light is steady it means that the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and your Router/Modem.
In order to function, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare ethernet port on your Router or Modem (or a Hub/Switch that is in turn connected to an Internet Gateway.) In some cases it is possible for an ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your Router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify the ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal, where the cable is plugged in. There should be a Link light which is on permanently to indicate that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable. There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plugging the cable into a different port on your Router / Modem.

Check that you have an active Internet connection.
Make sure you are currently able to connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC, or a Wi-Fi enabled phone. If you are not able to make an internet connection, this indicates a problem with your Router or your Internet Service Provider. We recommend rebooting the Router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your Router / Modem
Turn off your Router or Modem at the wall for 10 seconds, then turn it back on. Wait for the lights on your Modem/Router to indicate an internet connection has been established, and then press the Reset button on the Sure Signal.

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your Router
In order to connect to your network and the Internet, the Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your Router. If your Router supports DHCP, this must be enabled. Doing so will enable the Router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.
For detailed instructions on how to enable this, please consult your Router manual, or contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer.

If your Router or network configuration does not allow DHCP, then you will need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address, using your Router's configuration panel. Please consult your ISP or Router Manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal unit.

Post your Router details
If you have successfully followed all of the above, or are struggling with configuring your Router, please post your Router's make and full model number below. Quite often other users of the same router will be able to share tips with you around setup and any extra security settings that may need to be enabled/disabled to get things working correctly. Wherever possible, we will also attempt to assist you with this, however due to the vast number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible, and we do not officially support any form of Router Configuration. For that reason we will always recommend contacting your Router Manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

George
eForum Team

johnnyh40
Not applicable
Dear Vodafone personnel:
I have checked everything as per your advice.
Still have to reboot SS everyday to get it working again.
I have a D-Link DSL-2740B Wireless ADSL Router.
It works perfectly on every other device in my home so any information to resolve my SS problem would be greatly appreciated.

r1chardc
4: Newbie

Anyone?

I think the SS I have been sent is faulty - I have followed all of the instructions and guidance and the box has never given more than a flashing power light. Please can I arrange an exchange? Can someone on the Vodafone team tell me how to do this, please?

Shirley

Shirley

Do you know anyone with a working VSS? If so swap yours on their working set up. if it works in their house (it does not seem to matter on whose broadband it is working) then your firewall set up or internet provider might be a problem.

Regards

sbraynor

Shirley

Do you know anyone with a working VSS? If so swap yours on their working set up. if it works in their house (it does not seem to matter on whose broadband it is working) then your firewall set up or internet provider might be a problem.

Regards

No, I don't, so not really an option for me.

I have followed all of the guidance on these threads re firewalls, so can't see that would be a problem. My isp is Zen, who say there is no problem at their end.

Pretty sure this is a faulty SS.

Shirley

r1chardc
Vodafone

As previous unanswered question and in light of recent posts: (Mozzas / sbraynor)

How does the internet connection affect VSS performance?
Notwithstanding that most broadband users will have the minimum speeds required and that no ISP will deliberately block any of the VPN traffic, why does VSS stop working/
Does the routing of the traffic affect connection? Do Vodafone servers block traffic from certain IP addresses? Are there timeouts (everyone suffers bandwidth problems at times)

Regards

mozzas
OK, my VSS was left for 24hrs and of course - no change - still the dreaded slow flashing power light - now aka SFPL
Now does not even show up as an attached device.
Tried factory and standard reset - no change - just SFPL and not attached
I upgraded my phone and put my daughter on a contract on the basis of getting the VSS as I get ZERO signal at home.
Not happy, ready to take my iphone 4 back and cancel the lot.
I'm with Shirley - I want to give Vodafone the benefit of the doubt and get an exchange.
Please can someone sort it or contact me.

JoshW88
Not applicable
Hi,

I only have a stead flashing light - can you hjelp

sbraynor

I have now checked the port settings and they are all correct. The router shows the SS as an attached device. I reset both router ans SS more than 24 hours ago.

I still have jusrt the flashing power light.

Can I have some help from the Vodafone team, please?

Shirley

I'm disappointed that I haven't had any sort of response from the Vodafone team. I believe this SS is faulty and would like someone to contact me to arrange a replacement.

Shirley

Cyberped
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
My Sure Signal has not been working over the last few days, which is a surprise as it has been solid since I purchased it about 4 months ago.
I only have a solid (NOT flashing) green power light on.
The @ and √ signal are not lit.
I have reset the device and when that failed after 24 hours I rebooted my broadband and wifi router and reset the device again.
24 hours later still no signal.
Have I missed something?
Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mozzas
update: light(s) at the end of the tunnel?
Nothing seemed to work (just SFPL) and couldn't even get it attached to the router despite 'resets'

I don't know which of the following steps have had an effect but the result is that I now have a dancing light display in various sequences - fingers crossed that it is going to work.

First I phoned Vodafone - they checked the account, said all set up at their end and for me to check issues with my ISP (Plusnet)
Checked with Plusnet and they said no firewall issues and all should work from their end
Checked with Netgear and they said they would be pleased to help with any port issues when it shows up as an 'attached devise'

While waiting for VF to call back i decided one more last effort....
Router:
I removed all the 'services' and 'firewall rules' that had been suggested to put the router back to how it was before VSS (factory settings I think) -
then changed the advanced WAN setup to 'respond to ping....' and MTU size to 1500.
Then on LAN setup I reserved an IP using the mac address on the VSS box.
I unplugged the VSS ethernet and then resbooted the router (Netgear DGN2000).
VSS:
Tried a reset - but rather than the methods I have seen posted i did this - with the power light still slow flashing I just unplugged the power waited 10 secs then with the reset button pressed in i plugged the power in and kept the reset button pressed until the lights flashed in a sequence (20 secs??).
Then I plugged in the ethernet to the router.

After a few minutes (I wasn't really paying attention as I didn't expect any joy) the VSS showed up as an attached device on the reserved IP.
I looked at the VSS and low an behold different flashing lights.

Hope that helps in some way - especially Shirley with the same router and dreaded SFPL.

As I said - not fully working yet but at least it is now doing something.
Stephen