Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

James

I've done as requested - still no sure signal.

I can see activity through the router:
212.183.131.132 (on port 123 - i.e. NTP)
212.183.131.130 (on port 500 & 4500)

... and that's about it.

As for traceroute - I have about as much control as you do over the infrastructure between my router and Vodafone and can't force a response to a traceroute request. I'm not sure how we can rely on this as a test.

If you need me to test whether I can hit the target from here - perhaps you could PM me a port to telnet against on the end server that would give a verifiable result? In the same way as checking SMTP by telnetting to port 25?

Just a thought.

Thanks for looking in to this.

Hi James,

We don't think it is the router setup, and it's definitely not the broadband line as our internet connection has been fine. My husband had some difficulty with our sure signal a few months ago and Vodafone were close to replacing the sure signal so it's likely to be the equipment.

Please advise what we should do now.

Many thanks,

Hi James,

Thanks for the resync but unfortuanatley it has made no difference. I have noticed as well when performing a full reset of the SS that when holding the reset button in a four lights will stay on but when powered back up with the reset held in that only the power light stays on no matter how long the button is held in and the four lights will flash in sequence after several seconds in the same maner as they do when the button is not held in. It seems that the reset button is ignored by the SS when powered back up.

Any other ideas?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts here.

@ Rahal, Please can you post us and up to date copy of your traceroute and your Sure Signal serial number so we can take a closer look at this for you.

@ dannyboy1121,  it is strange to see that you can’t get a response from a traceroute and as the Sure Signal uses a different server than our normal servers such as our SMTP there isn’t any other way to see where the connection is breaking down.

Please can you try a pathping as outlined below so we can try to see exactly what is happening;

On a PC :

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type pathping 212.183.133.177    press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

@ssmb08, before we replace a Sure Signal we need to verify that it is definitely an equipment fault.

The easiest way to do this would be to test the Sure Signal on a different internet connection with a different ISP and router if possible.

If you are able to try this and you get the same problem then we can look at possibly replacing the unit.

@Beds1970, To be honest with you it is possible that the power cut has somehow fused something within the Sure Signal.

So that we can look at a possible replacement for you I have sent you a quick PM, please follow the instructions on the PM and one of the team will be able to contact you directly to discuss this further.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

Hi, I'm still unable to get any further than the eternally flashing power light. Could you please check your whitelist for my IP 212.69.44.105.

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.2
  2    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  telehouse-gw4-lo2.idnet.net [212.69.63.99]
  3    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  212.69.63.182
  4    22 ms    24 ms    23 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  5    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  85.205.116.2
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.

C:\Users\Mike>ping -f -l 1472 85.205.116.2
Pinging 85.205.116.2 with 1472 bytes of data:
Reply from 85.205.116.2: bytes=1472 time=25ms TTL=250
Reply from 85.205.116.2: bytes=1472 time=26ms TTL=250
Reply from 85.205.116.2: bytes=1472 time=26ms TTL=250
Reply from 85.205.116.2: bytes=1472 time=25ms TTL=250

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jallder

Thank you for your post and the additional information.:smileyhappy:

I can see that this has still not connected and before we can point the fault down to the device please can you try using a PPoA connection?

Also, is it possible to try the device using a different connection using a different ISP for example at a friends or relatives?

I have checked the IP address and this is included.

Hi TCFarrow

Thank you for your information and a very warm welcome.:smileyhappy:

All appears to be fine from what you have posted, please can you provide me with the serial number and I will take a look at this end and perform a re-sync.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Hi my serial number is21230526705 thank you Terena

Hi James, I have now tried the Sure Signal at a family member's home and have encountered the same problem, so it seems to be an equipment fault. Please could you tell me what I should do now? Many thanks.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello ssmb08,

Sure I can!

I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

Lee

richardvhudson
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Router DSL-2640R

IP AOL   

Sure Signal serial number 21223170727

Tried all suggestions below, still no joy.  All I get is green flashing power light.  Also if I switch on Sure Signal while connected to internet I lose internet connection to my laptop.

I'm giving the Sure Signal another try having failed to make it work 2 years ago.