Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 not switching to Sure Signal

greyhound82
4: Newbie

Hi,

At my home, we have a very poor 3G and 4G signal with Vodafone.  I've used a Sure Signal in the past with a 3G HTC phone and everything worked perfectly, so I've recently bought a new Sure Signal v3 to use with my HTC One M8 on a 4G contract.

The problem I'm finding is that the phone wants to 'cling' to the very weak 4G signal rather than switch to use the Sure Signal box.  If I manually set the phone to use only 2G/3G connections then it picks up the Sure Signal, but it will ignore the Sure Signal if there's any kind of 4G connection available.  If I try making a call, the phone remains connected to the weak Vodafone mast rather than use the Sure Signal.

Has anybody else noticed this problem?  Is there any resolution other than to disable 4G on the phone?  I'd rather return the Sure Signal and wait for WiFi Calling than have to remember to disable 4G every day whenever I'm at home.

Many thanks,

Graham.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

Handsets will try usually to connect to the strongest signal available so should switch automatically.

I'm it 100% sure their is an internal setting within the phone so doing as you say may be the best workaround.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

When you make a call the phone should automatically revert to a 3G connection. I guess (would need to be confirmed by Vodafone) that when rolling back from 4G to 3G it's not picking up the VSS and sticking to the weak signal from the mast. 

Short of switching 4G off I don't think there is an immediate solution.

As you mention Wifi calling is on the way though with no firm launch date it's difficult to say how long this could be (though given the competition i suspect months rather than years).

Do you have any other phones you could try with the new Sure Signal? This would help to rule out any issues with the device itself.

Nabs