Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One V and Sure Signal

th_london
4: Newbie

I have seen various threads regarding the HTC One X and Sure Signal, but wanted to check that Vodafone is aware that the HTC One V appears to have the same issue.

If my One V is set to GSM/WCDMA auto mode, the phone light on the Sure Signal lights up as it should when I make a call or someone calls me, but goes out as soon as the call is connected - either the call drops or it switches to the inferior quality external GSM (2G) signal.

As with the One X, the problem can be solved by switching the phone to WCDMA only mode when I am at home, but it's annoying that I have to keep switching it back to GSM/WCDMA auto every day when I go out: this is necessary because even in outdoor locations in central London the phone seems to drop calls when set to WCDMA only and only works reliably when set to GSM/WCDMA auto mode. (Should this be the case??)

Is Vodafone aware of this issue with the One V and will there be a software update like you say is currently being prepared for the One X? Incidentally, the phone did recently receive a software update to version 2.22, but this does not appear to have resolved the problem.

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26

Hi th_london, 

I've had a response and apparently the latest software version 2.22.161.4 fixed the issue. 

This has been tested and the team have been unable to replicate the issue you're experiencing. Can you confirm which software version you're running and confirm which Sure Signal you have so that I can feed this back? 

Thanks, 

Kay

Hi Kay,

Thanks for this. However, my phone is using the same software version 2.22.161.4 that you mention and still has the issue.

I have the 'version 2' Sure Signal.

Not sure if this will be of any help, but I found another discussion on this topic relating to the similar HTC One S phone. Message 114 in that thread provides a very good description of the issue and the testing that was done at the time. I don't know whether the One S/One X problem was ever solved but at least as far as my One V is concerned the problem still exists.

TH

Hi th_london,

I've checked the system again with your Sure Signal serial number.

It looks like the Sure Signal connected this morning just after midnight. Can you confirm if it has kicked in for me?

If not, I can see a few location changes were picked up a little while back, so we can try a resync to tidy up anything still getting in the way.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Sure Signal is connected to Vodafone (as it always has been, apart from occasional brief outages).

The problem, as I've mentioned countless times already, is that the Sure Signal will only kick in for voice calls if I set my phone to WCDMA only mode. If the phone is set to the default GSM/WCDMA auto mode, the Sure Signal does not kick in and the phone instead connects to an external (2G?) transmitter, meaning that I do not get the benefits of Sure Signal's better call quality.

The location of the Sure Signal has not changed. 

I do feel we're going round in circles here - but I guess Vodafone will not admit there is a problem as that means you would have to offer me a different phone!

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi th_london,

I'm afraid as we can't replicate the same here and as other HTC One V users don’t have to do the same setting, then it's doubtful to be down to the phone model. We're only able to swap your handset during the 7 day cooling off period or if the manufacturer recalls a model.

We can still arrange a repair of your handset if the confirmed software fix is on the phone and you still have to switch modes. We can then test your handset in the Repair Centre to see what is causing the issue still.

I've forced a manual resynchronisation of your serial number 40123236016 as Dave mentioned above to see if that helps. I'll need you to reset the Sure Signal once more to complete the operation.

Cheers, Ben

Useful Links 

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this.

I will reset the Sure Signal when I get home this evening.

It seems to me unlikely that a repair would solve the issue, but if I do decide to try this, what is the best way to go about it to ensure the repair centre is aware of the precise nature of the problem? If I try explaining this all again at my local Vodafone store I'm not sure it wil be understood/conveyed correctly to the repairers.

Also, if the problem persists after the repair, would Vodafone then be willing to offer me an alternative model of phone, or would I still have to put up with this issue for another year?

Cheers

Hi th_london,

When you take the phone into be repaired you can get the store to put a note on the repair job to explain exactly what’s happening.

Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to swap the phone for a different model but can look at this again once the repair has been conducted.

James