Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Has our Sure Signal been hijacked?

Foxendown
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My wife is having a big problem with the Sure Signal she is owner of and which all the family uses. My daughter recently acquired an iPhone 5c on a Vodafone contract and we wanted of course to join her to the Sure Signal. We could not do this because we found that my wife, although still the owner, has for some reason ceased to be the administrator of the Sure Signal and someone with a phone number we don't recognise now is. The option to Add Users doesn’t appear.

When she accesses My Account and goes to My Sure Signal it gives the correct name and location for the device and her name appears as the owner, however, her mobile number’s “role” is listed as “User”. The only option she has is to remove her name from the Sure Signal. Other family members who have separate Vodafone accounts also confirm that her name is listed as the owner of the Sure Signal.

When I contacted Vodafone they confirmed that the Sure Signal is registered to someone else. They can’t tell me who (Data Protection Act), or what phone number is listed (Data Protection Act), or when the change of owner took place (Data Protection Act). Nor can they explain why the Sure Signal that I bought, that is still in my house, on my network and attached to my Broadband has, sometime since June 2013 changed ownership.
We have no recollection of making any changes so this has happened without our intervention.

Attempts to get telephone support on this issue have completely failed-we have been going round in circles. Vodafone staff unhelpfully tell us we need to "talk to the Administrator" but are at a loss when we point out that we have no idea who this is! They quote the Data Protection Act when we ask for some information about the administrator and will only let us have the last 3 digits of the phone number, which do not correspond with any of our phone numbers. Where do we go from here? Is it possible that my wife's account and/or the Sure Signal itself have been hacked and why are Vodafone staff unable to offer a solution and in fact failed to phone us yesterday as promised?

1 REPLY 1

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Foxendown,

So that we can look into this further, take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact us page.

Thanks,

Matt B