Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I return a SureSignal Device??

mikejhathaway
2: Seeker

Hi Folks,

This may seem like a simple question but its one VodaFone has been unable to answer for 6 weeks!!

I am a corporate Vodafine customer and my mobile is managed by a Vodafone partner, as I don't get any signal where I live it was suggested to be to purchase a SureSignal device. I checked with Vodafone via live chat that the SureSignal would work with BT Infinity Fibre to the home service, they said yes so I purchased a SureSignal from the VodaFone website.

Now the device worked on and off for 2 months with me having to turn it off and on everyday and then last month it stopped working altogether. I have spoken now to Vodafone more than I care to mention and it transpires that SureSignal only works if your broadband uses PPPoA. BT Infinity Fibre service uses PPPoE so the claim that SureSignal is supported with BT Infinity is wrong.

I now need to retuen the device but no one at Vodafone is able to help and I keep getting passed from team to team.

Anyone at Vodafone watching this forum please help as the device doesn't work as advertised even though I checked prior to purchasing. I now have a £100 paper weight!

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mikejhathaway,

Once the Sure Signal is more than seven days old, we can’t return it.

Although the Sure Signal is designed to work over PPPoA, most routers have a bridge in them that means you can use a PPPoA device on a PPPoE connection.

What light sequence are you currently seeing?

Also, please let us know the following information and we’ll look at getting this up and running.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

James

mikejhathaway
Hi James,

I've run all this with someone from Vodafone on a call with me and they confirmed the sure signal will never wirk with an ISP that runs PPPoE. There isn't any wY to bridge PPPoA to PPPoE on the BT Home Hub 4

I've had only the red light on with a pulsing synch light since the 17th March.

Mike

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mikejhathaway.

We've had success with this in the past.

Please can you provide your serial number as a minimum?

Please confirm if this is a business or consumer account.

DaveCD

mikejhathaway
Ok, my mobile is a business account. I'm away for a couple of days, I will post my serial number later this week.

Thanks

Mike

mikejhathaway
Hi There,

The serial number of my device is:

Let me know what else you need?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Please reset your Sure Signal:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online

If you’re still facing issues, please check your ports:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 212.183.133.177-179
  • 212.183.133.181-182
  • 212.183.131.128-191

Thanks,

Gemma

Hi,

I have previousle performed these steps whilst on the phone to Vodafone tech support. I can confirm the firewall ports are open on my home network, port clampoing is enabled and the SureSignal is in the DMZ so it can get to the hosts you list.

The issue the VodaFone tech support team told me is that BT Infinity Fibre broadband uses PPPoE and the Suresignal requires PPPoA. What is Vodafones recomendation considering you say that the Suresignal is supported on BT Infinity??

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I can see your Sure Signal connected to our servers this morning at 12:12am, are you still seeing the same lights?

If you are, the next option would be to try a different router in place of your Home Hub 4.

Cheers,

Andy

mikejhathaway
Interestingly yes it's now connected after I changed nothing.

When I spoke to the tech team they did say I could see intermittent connections with PPPoE broadband.

Do you know of any PPPoE to PPPoA converters or bridges to help this work all the time??