cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How much electrical power does VSS3 draw?

Anonymous
Not applicable

[ originally posted in a corrupted thread ]

I tried to eyeball the label on the back in the fuzzy images shown on the ecommerce site but could not read it. Reading between the lines it gets warm/hot so I'd like to know how much of a hit to expect on the UPS.

[ later but not yet up to date ]

The label on the back of the Vodafone Sure Signal (VSS3) hardware subsequently received carried NO information at all about how much power it draws. It started out drawing circa 2Watts (6VA with power factor) but it is just in idle (aka 'connecting'). I cannot get any further down the installation line because VF have, for the last three days, been so-called TWEAKING the My Sure Signal [sic] in the My Vodafone area. Tweaking for three days is NOT tweaking, it's a good old fashioned OUTAGE. VF should come clean and admit reality for what is patently obviously is... I await VF sorting themselves out.

[ currently ]

VF sorted itself out eventually. VSS3 now successfully hooked up and it is supplying our home with a better signal inside than is available outside by the area's regional main tower.

[ power drawn normally :: single permanent user ]

About 4Watts (10VA with power factor) is drawn from the UPS.

That drawn power figure (4W) does not significantly change whether the permanent single user is fully active (making or receiving a call) or not.

[ how warm it gets ]

* idle/connecting phase (2W) VSS3 feels "noticeably warm"

* fully connected phase (4W) VSS3 feels "surprisingly hot"

Once my commissioning nears completion I expect to fit a nearby external 'free air' equipment fan to help with heat dissipation - much as I would do with a bench mounted HDD during extended testing. Surprisingly poor design. Recommend a metallic (heat radiating) top half casing and the necessary relocation of the aerial assembly lower by the CAT5 ports (avoids Faraday cage effect).

Reading between the lines around the forum I may be expecting a future crowbar-across-the-mains catastrophic failure due, probably, to a 'drying out' electrolytic capacitor. I take a dim view of both the alleged purchasing and/or manufacturing process that allowed this to occur along with the above poor heat dissipating design - being pretty much fully encased in a plastic heat insulating material. Due to the feed through design there is no externally accessable fuse. To improve safety, to my own satisfaction, I have chosen to install all of this via a low current fused electrical spur aiming to avert a possible incendiary event or an enforced emergency cutout at the UPS (which also supplies essential kit elsewhere).

Vodafone (actually Alcatel the manufacturer ...specified here so as to be picked up by search engines in due course) could do better - should do better.

4 REPLIES 4

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous Is there something we can help you with? 

Please note that if the Sure Signal device is tampered/altered then this will void the warranty of the unit. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rahim >> Is there something we can help you with? 

Actually I thought it was the other way around!

Previously I'd asked the thread's title as a question... but nobody apparently knew here, nor did it appear in any search that I initially ran. Ditto on 191. I have no apparent access to the given CHAT service (it doesn't work or is alternatively blocked in my server's masquerading rules). So I volunteered the answer to my own question - just in case that someone else might want to know in a future search.

My points were personally observational and specifically non-warranty detrimental but, thank you for pointing out what really ought to be obvious to... well, mostly everyone:-)

Having already indicated that I am halfway expecting a design-induced catastrophic failure the very last thing I would attempt to do is void the warranty. However, let's be realistic, any replacement is likely to be as badly 'afflicted' as the original.

My comments might feed through into VSS4. Ever hopeful. Particularly as Alcatel is now a member of the much favoured here Nokia (non-Microsoft) organisation? I would entrust Nokia to make a better job of VSS4 than Alcatel have proven already... Hint: I'm quite willing to sign an NDA and most thoroughly alpha/beta test out that very supposition 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Once my commissioning nears completion I expect to fit a nearby external 'free air' equipment fan to help with heat dissipation - much as I would do with a bench mounted HDD during extended testing.

Done... mixture of new stock (fractal design Silent Series 140mm 800rpm 9dBA equipment fan) from the spares cupboard and an old brick type 12Vdc PSU recycled from a retired Maxstore NAS.

Proximity mounted but with an upper end bias (the CAT5 connx don't exactly need cooling) this slow revving fan is nigh on perfect for doing a really quiet job. Silence being an important detail as it is located adjacent to our bedroom. Despite my age I still appear to have a well-above-average level of hearing.

The additional always-on electrical power (over and above that drawn by the VSS3) is less than or equal to approximately 1Watt (2VA with power factor). Insignificant when set against the peace of mind so engendered.

Fairly quickly the case temperature of the VSS3 felt:

* barely warm to the touch (in sync :: one user)

Result:~D

PS: An upstairs smoke alarm detector is just a few feet away... for the occasion when if that poorly specified or manufactured electrolytic capacitor dries out and promptly crowbars itself across the mains (albeit sourced from a UPS).

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous You sound like you know your stuff! :Smiling:

We've no news about a VSS4 however, we'll pass on the points and feedback you've mentioned. 

If there's anything that we can with relating to your account do let us know.