Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IOS 7 Update Breaks SureSignal

peterrid
4: Newbie

I have an iPhone 4S and a SureSignal V1 box which has been working perfectly fine till I rather rashly decided to install the IOS 7 update on my iPhone.

Immediately after installation I can no longer get a connection to the SureSignal box which has lights 1,2,4 green but nothing on 3rd light. I think this indicates there is no 3G connection.

I have tried installing the 7.02 IOS update without any joy. I have reset the iPhone to factory defaults - no joy there either. I have also tried resetiing the Suresignal box itself. No Joy.

I can get a signal on the iPhone if I go to a better reception area so the phone is working but the SureSignal box no longer sees the iPhone when at home.

This phone has been turned into a useless heap of junk!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Horaaaay. Problem solved.

The trouble is that I am not certain what solved it because this morning when I checked it was not working and then saw the IOS 7.03 update was available so I installed the update - after which my phone now works again.

I think it was an IOS issue but I dont know when the firmware update happened so am not absolutely certain. My advice is to get the firmware upgrade and install the later version of IOS 7.0.3 or better

View solution in original position

42 REPLIES 42

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi peterrid,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

James

upload 1.45Mb

download 10.2Mb

ping 30ms

Jitter 2ms

external ip 159.253.167.210

serial # 21196952341

The tracert will not work because this PC is on a network protected by a firewall which is configured to allow VodaPhone traffic to the SureSignal box. Tracert will not work from my PC.

This has been happily working for many months and because I maintain the firewall I know that there have been no changes.

I repeat. I get lights 1,2,4 as green but nothing on 3. So it looks like there is no 3G signal. My iPhone does not display 3G on the screen when at home. I do get 3G on the screen when I use it elsewhere where there is a better signal

I think the next step is for you to resync and I will reset the suresignal after you confirm this has been done

Hi peterrid,

Your speed test and ping test are fine and your IP address is on our whitelist, so no problems there either.

I’ve checked your serial number and can see a location move has been detected.

This can be down to maintenance performed by your ISP or router firmware updates.

I’ve removed this message and resynced your unit.

So that the resync completes, can you do a factory reset for me:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove both the Ethernet cable and power lead
  • Re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights display, release the reset button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in about an hour
  • When the Sure Signal is back online, re-insert the Ethernet cable.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Tech Team,

I have the exact same problem. Can I post the results of my ping test etc as per your list above so you can look at mine? I have already reset sure signal and turned my phone on and off etc as well. It's an iphone 5. The sure signal has behaved intermittently since I upgraded to latest ios 7 and is affecting other non iphone users in my house...that's why I liked this thread that starts with IOS7 broke my suresignal!

Thanks

Update...as if by magic, I now have the strongest signal I have ever had!! So glad I spent all that time getting the info, as a no tech person it took me half an hour of googling to find the command prompt screen then another half hour to work out how to copy and paste from it!!

Hi guys,

sarahfairlamb - With the various versions of Windows and the ways you can change the control panel display, it's just not feasible for us to post every single step for every combination here on the eForum.  If in doubt, using the standard Windows search option usually brings up things like this.

I'm glad to see that you're now getting great signal. If you do have any issues in future, though, feel free to post all the details you see us asking for on here and we'll be happy to take a look.

===============================

peterrid - Can you try deregistering the Sure Signal, waiting half an hour and then re-registering it? This just allows the system to completely refresh itself and clear anything caught up in it.

Dave

I deregistered the SureSignal. Waited an hour and registered it again.

Stll no signal. I then reset the Suresignal again but still cannot get a connection.

I can see the SureSignal box communicating with the VodaFone servers but I still get lights 1,2,4 lit but nothing on 3. The iPhone simply is not connecting to the SureSignal.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi peterrid

The light sequence suggests the Sure Signal is working but the phone is not picking up a 3G signal. 

Can you put your SIM into a different 3G phone and see if you can connect?

Thanks

Sukhi

The iPhone does pick up a 3G signal outside my home.

I put the sim into my iPad which also has the same problem. Both the iPad and the iPhone have IOS 7.02 installed.

I have also tried from a different PC with iPhone plugged into USB and get same issues

The iPhone gets a WiFi connection and I can browse the web so the network is working. I can see the SureSignal on the same network and have verified traffic to VodaFone from the SureSignal.

This is either a SureSignal issue or an IOS 7 issue. Are you noticing many support calls following an IOS 7 upgrade?

Hi peterrid,

Thanks for getting back to me.

We’ve seen an increase in calls but the majority of this was around iMessage that Apple is aware of and they’re working on a fix.

I’ve not seen a great lot of traffic around the Sure Signal and IOS 7.02 but that doesn’t mean that it’s not happening.

From looking online I can see that there are a number of reports about issues connecting to 3G across different networks,

From this it would suggest that it’s something on the software side of things rather than the Sure Signal.

Do you have a friend who is on Vodafone that doesn’t use an iPhone?

If yes, would you be able to add their number to the Sure Signal to see if it connects without any problems?

James