Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ISP changed to BT and SS no longer works

Flashman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, after my SS (version 1 with the four lights) has worked fine for a couple of years it has now stopped working following a change to BT as ISP. Lights 1, 3 and 4 stay on but the light next to the phone symbol doesn't light up at all. I've gone through the troubleshooting steps but no luck.

I have read the posting from back in may when it was suggested there may be an problem with SS and the BT infinity router. That's some months ago now so I was hoping this had been rectified. Is there any resetting that can be done please to see if it will work. We live in a poor reception area so its a pain not having the SS!

many thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Flashman,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.
Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Andrew

I have a similar problem; having moved to BT Infinity from standard ADSL

The SS box used to provide a 4bar and an 'H' data signal connection

I'm in a marginal coverage area so I didn't realise that the SS box wasn't connecting. It has three lights which suggests that it thinks it has a VPN connection back to Voda but the phone light doesn't light up and I'm left with a dodgy signal and a 'G' data signal at best.

As per other Boards

I've tried connecting the SS via a separate switch and direct into the Home Hubs integral switch

Iv'e tried setting the Port forwarding in my Home Hub 3  (Type A I believe)   which was a voyage of experience and although it is now reporting A Sure Signal Set of ports assigned to the SS MAC address, I don't beleive it.

My Missus does some home working over a VPN  into a Citrix farm and that all worked fine without any changes to the Home Hub settings.

I'll try your diagnostics above

The infuriating thing is BT had the HH4 on offer a while ago but it's now full price, Apparently the HH4 is SS friendly.