Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is it better than Gaateway was?

jaystroker
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We had awful issues with Gateway device, now gathering dust in the shed, but the phone connectivity/signal issues remain as they were then. Ok outside but poor inside the house. No 4G likely for my address either!

The problem was dropped calls, failure to connect etc. Vodafone engineers said it  was NTL latency issues and NTL said as our broadband was working OK in all other respects it must be Vodafone issue. Impasse. Cue more years of poor signal.

However we now have faster NTL broadband, so have these issues gone away? Should I invest in VSS3?

Do I use SS and stay with Vodafone (been here through Matrin Dawes at Banbury, Singlepoint etc so 20 years ish)  or switch to EE with much better coverage at my address and 4G too?

1 REPLY 1

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi jaystroker,

The old Vodafone Access Gateway became the VSS1.

As you rightly mention the VSS 3 is now available and whilst the concept hasn't changed but the devices certainly have. 

If you have a faster more reliable broadband connection then it is definitely worth trying a VSS3, it might do the trick for you.

With regards to EE, they had a 12 month headstart over the rest of the UK networks so it is expected that they are going to have better 4G coverage. I don't think it's going to take Vodafone and O2 long to catch up though. Since launching in August the have already rolled out a reasonably large 4G footprint, they have 120 listed towns and cities with a further 121 listed to roll out in the next 3 months (more info here)

At the end of the day it's a personal decision that only you can make but I would say it's not going to be too big a time before they catch up.

EDIT: It's worth a mention that Vodafone are rolling out 3G900 alongside 4G so any location where 4G has been enabled should also get a much better 3G service i.e improved calls