cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is it true that the VSS only works on PPPoA?

Onzadog
4: Newbie

Please go easy on me.  I'm no expert on such things.  My understanding is that PPPoA works with a static IP address and PPPoE works with a dynamic address.  Am I also right in thinking that most domestic ISP only offer dynamic addresses and therefore, by default, only PPPoE to domestic customers?

I've been told by a CSR in Egypt that VSS only works with PPPoA.  Is this true?

Mine has worked for over two years and only recently started to have problems.  I've been with the same ISP all that time and longer.  Today they confirmed that I've always been on a dynamic IP address and they only offer static addresses at a premium.

If someone could help unconfused me, it would be very much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

Retired-AndyD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Onzadog,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.
Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Andy

allegoricus
13: Advanced Member

PPPoA and PPPoE are your ISP's business. They are merely different transport protocols.

The only requirement is that the modem side of your router connects with your ISP via whatever is the correct mode (i.e. PPPoA or PPPoE).

The VSS knows nothing of this, as it's plugged in to an Ethernet port on your router.

Peter

Thanks for this info.

I've already got a thread open trying to get to the bottom of the problem with my VSS.  I've already been through the stages above and things pasted muster without an issue.

The question only came about because I called for help on this again and got a rather obnoxious CSR who basically told me that as I was talking to him, there was clearly nothing wrong with my VSS.  Didn't seem to be able to explain intermittent fault to him.

Anyway, he then sends me a text telling me a need to talk to my ISP about ports being open both ways and being PPPoA as PPPoE doesn't work.

He didn't seem interested in the fact that the VSS has been working fine for 2 years with my Desire handset and the same ISP.

Hi Onzadog,

Thanks to allegoricus for his information :Smiling:

As you've advised you've got an open thread regarding your ongoing issues, the we'll only respond on that one.

Thanks

Andy

HalHovland
4: Newbie

After a week with BT and Vodafone support researching why the Sure Signal does not work with BT Infinity (and probably any fibre broadband for same reasons) it looks like the Sure Signal cannot work because:

1) Sure Signal uses PPPoA as its netwoirk protocol, while fibre has gone to PPPoE (over Ethernet)

2) Sure Signal uses the non-standard value of 1500 for the MTU setting, while fibre sticks to the standard maximum of 1492.

Other settings such as port forwarding, etc can be matched.

Both support organisations conceeded in the end that the Sure Signal will not work with BT Infinity, which is a pity as superfast broadband is being rolled out at quite a rate.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi there,

The thread that you have posted on is a few years old so any info in it may be out of date.

I can however safely say that suresignals do work on FTTC internet connections that use PPPoE.

I have one up and running on a PlusNet Fibre connection.

The trouble lies in the router being used in most cases, with the main issue that it does not allow the correct traffic through to and from the suresignal, and the router trying to terminate some of the data rather than passing it on.

Some routers have nice menu options to fix this, others have been modified by the ISP so much that there is no way to fix things.

BT HH4/5 have a term called Port Clamping that needs to be turned on.

Other devices call it VPN Passthrough (for IPSec)

If you need any info on what I did to get things up and running here, I'll be more than happy to help.

Hi Grolschuk

Do you know of any commands or anything program that i can Run to find out where the decive might be losing packets or anything like or that it might be getting stopped.

kind Regards

Sheraz

Hi @SherazSarrdar

Welcome to the eForum.

You’re able to ping the serial number of the router to find this information.

Cheers,

Laura