Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Issue with Sure Signal 3

ssizen
4: Newbie

Hi

Has a SS£ and changed routers, same make but since the SS3 does not work, Vodafone support (after a very long call hold!!) reset but no change so any help much appreciated, I have it plugged direct into the router (although before it was not), it is showing

Flashing Red / No Internet light / Steady orange service / Steady orange In Use

IP is this but it changed on router reboot:      217.44.235.28

Speed test is: Upload 2.86Mb / Download is 8.2Mb

Serial is:          42151297498

I have tried reserving an IP based on its MAC as well and forwarding the following ports in the table below

Traceroute is as below

Any help much appreciated we get zero signal where we are which is not in the middle of nowhere either :Smiling:

Cheers

SS3

TCP

SS3

TCP

SS3

UDP

SS3

UDP

SS3

UDP

SS3

TCP or UDP

TR is as below

1    15 ms     1 ms     1 ms  ARCHER_VR2600 [192.168.1.1]

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3    10 ms     8 ms     8 ms  31.55.186.181

4    11 ms     9 ms     8 ms  31.55.186.180

5    12 ms    10 ms    11 ms  195.99.127.56

6    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  peer1-xe1-0-1.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.193.197]

7    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  t2c3-et-8-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.240]

8   132 ms   125 ms     9 ms  166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

Ok may be help for any other poor sod like me who has spent weeks on this, TP-Link said enable Full-cone NAT, this did NOT work and actually caused the VOIP phone to stop working but as a last resort I then disabled IGMP Proxy and now I have the SS3 working as it should.

Not sure why, MTU is 1480 as default for info

Thanks all for the help given

Shaun

View solution in original position

31 REPLIES 31

Static IP is irrelevant so long as it is on the allowed White-list.

It's a wonder Advertising Standards have pulled them over the "YES" adverts on TV as there are many places such as Cornwall and Wales I cannot use Vodafone where I have to carry a EE handset and data SIM where normally I get a very fast 4G signal.

Kevin Bacon is EE's, ironically, Vodafone should start using comedians for their advertising!!.

Why not make a complaint to the ASA, I am going to do.. I already complained to them a couple of years ago and had a series of their 4G adverts 'banned' due to misleading business users into believing that ALL 4G connections qualified for Sky Sports or Spotify. Imagine my amazement after signing up for Spotify, I was then billed for the service.

I contacted Vodafone who after many arguments (over 90 phone calls) cancelled finally agreed to cancel the Spotify account but Spotify continued to bill me for 6 months saying I had agreed to a contract with them.

If you search the ASA, you will see that Vodafone agreed with the ASA never to run the poster campaign again. They had posters of Yoda claiming "May the 4G be with you"..

https://d1t6gdblzuqy70.cloudfront.net/content/uploads/2013/08/vodafone-4g-yoda-campaign-460.jpg

There was no small print excluding business users and with this I signed up for a two year contract on the basis of this. They spoke to me with contempt and like I was stupid for 6 months claiming I had been told on calls which proved to be lies when they recovered the calls as it was never mentioned.

North Wales is disgusting, the 3G signal is strong and 4G 2 bars but so many people are in the area at weekend the system is overloaded it is impossible to collect email, let alone stream music and video and have been like this for the last 6 years on 3G and now 4G.

I find it strange that the 20GB per month allowance and wanting to stream music and TV when away, I have to pay EE to use their 4G SIM Card in my MyFi where bandwidth and speed are stunning.

Cornwall is the same, 4G nearly all around the coast.. Vodafone, main 2G. The only reason I do stay with Vodafone is knowing the legacy 2G coverage is greater over the UK when in an emergency and this is more important than speed of data.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

The ADSL router I had was set lower than 1500 (1480 rings a bell) which made the Internet a tad faster but never had any issues of MTU as the router adapted to allow this client to oversize.

Without going to far into the protocol and what I have read a client trying to send a large packet will try to be accommodate or have it thrown back to reduce the packet size, where the SureSignal is not capable of complying so keeps on sending big packets.

If the packet is then not reduced they start to be dropped although if possible the router can adapt, then it will try to pass it through and suspect this is more stricter on the VDSL platform as the minute I put a modem/router in place everything just started working.

Are you on VDSL or ADSL?

It seems very messy on VDSL when there are two pieces of kit involved, one of them is smashing packets whether it is the ISP router or the Openreach terminal.

Many corporate systems do not allow and would not allow MTU to be changed to accomdodate a device such as SureSignal which is why I say the SureSignal should be more intelligent and adaptive to MTU.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ssizen Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Please can you confirm if you're still experiencing issues?

Can you also let us know if you've tried a replacement ethernet cable? 

@DuncanMcG Please can you confirm your serial number?

Hi Rahim

Yes still  no joy, I now have it set with a static IP and port forwarding, the maximum MTU size my router will allow is 1492 (the default is 1480) but in fact my old router which did work was 1480 anyway.

There appears no frewall on this router, its a TP-LINk Archer VR2600

Much at a loss as to what to do next really, the help desk say speak to BT but they will simply say the connection is fine and leave it at that.

Trouble is I have many phones here and none now work

Any help greatly apprecited

Shaun

Quick update, when the MTU was 1480 it seemed to fail quite quickly to the

Flashing Red / No Internet light / Steady orange service / Steady orange In Use sattus

I have recently in the last 30 mins or so set the MTU to 1492 (the max I can) and at present I have a pulsing white Internet light

Not sure if its trying now to connect? The serial if you need it is 42151297498

Cheers

False alarm, gone back to the original failed status !!

@Rahim my problem report is here http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-stopped-working/td-p/2533421

@gmsecure if it is a problem with MTU setting, why would my equipment have stopped working after no 2 years of operation with no problem? As an aside, I had an identical problem 2 years ago which was eventually resolved by BT and Vodafone without me requiring to change anything.

DuncanMcG that tracert is identical to mine, do you have any idea what BT / Vodaphone did? Mine failed at the very same point.

@ssizen that traceroute is from my current problem, but almost identical to previous issue in 2014.

If you look at a number of problem reports on the forum now, they all have the same traceroute.

Vodafone point the finger at BT, BT say no changes their side it is a Vodafone problem

Vodafone refuse to acknowledge or own the problem (as usual)

Eventually as the numbers of dissatisfied users grow they will get round to fixing it, but don't hold your breath. Typical Vodafone customer service (I use the term very loosely with tongue firmly in cheek)

gsmsecure
12: Established
12: Established
Maybe suggest contacting the BBC who will be interested in hearing more about this.