Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Light one on, light two flashing

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light’s on and light two flashes constantly
  • Light two does not go solid

Troubleshooting steps:

Wait 24 hours.
It can sometimes take up to 24 hours for the Sure Signal to fully register with the server. Before attempting any of the steps below, please wait 24 hours.

Check for planned maintenance.

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Check that your Sure Signal has registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you need to register it with us.

You’ll receive a text or email to let you know when the registration is complete and your Sure Signal won’t work until you’ve received this message.

To check your Sure Signal is registered, login to your My Vodafone Account and click on the 'My Sure Signal' tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status 'Registered'.

If you’ve not yet registered your Sure Signal, you can do this directly from the My Sure Signal page in your My Vodafone Account .

If you’re a Business customer, please register on our business Sure Signal page.

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

600 REPLIES 600

Didn't last long. Sure signal has stopped working again. Have not touched any setting. Seems to come & go as it pleases. When will vodafone be able to offer a stable service. Seems to be more unreliable in recent months.

sewell298
4: Newbie

I'm having same issue. Sure signal worked fine for months now for the past 3 days I just get steady power light & flashing @ light.

Have followed all fault diagnosis. Still nothing.

Last time I had to get re-sync from vodafone end.

Belkin N+ Router. Connected to Orange network. No firmware updates carried out on router to change the settings.

Sure Signal 21224518965

elparaisogolf
2: Seeker

My router is a SAGEM F@ST 2504N SKY. I need help as this exercise is too complicated for me

Hi elparaisogolf and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. You’re probably best speaking to someone who is a little more comfortable with doing this if you’re having trouble. Unfortunately there is very little we can do from our end to guide you through this so if you do know anybody (family member or friend) who can help you, then that would be preferable.

If not, here’s the default guide for your router. You’ll just need to add the necessary ports and IP addresses as outlined in post 1 of this thread.

Port forwarding

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Wayne

Fortunately I used my common sense and reset the sure signal and it worked perfectly after about 30 minutes. Maybe it would be more sensible if you told people who are having the same problem to do that first rather than altering settings. 

Wicked-Weasel

HI there. I am new to the VSS. I have set the thing up as per the instructions and it would appear that I am in the same poat as a ton of other people.

OK - Here is what I have done so far:

1. Unpack and set up as per instructions - Friday AM - 20th Apr 2012.

2. Lights come on (Power - solid, other 2 flashing)

3. Flashing stops after about 7 minutes and the thing appears to reboot.

4. Comes back up and after about 1 min - alI I have is a steady power light and a flashing system light and no activity on the phone light. This carried on till 11am today - 23rd Apr 2012.

5. Did a reset as per instructions in forum - same end result (from 11am to 4pm 23rd Apr 2012).

6. Read all these forums to see if anyone else had other ideas - Checked it was registered on the dashboard and all good there.

7. Check network (complex corporate - 3 x 100Mbps Fibre through the Azzuri cloud) but all ports open for ourbound traffic (with the exception of ntp (123 tcp+udp). We have internal ntp access only. If required for functionality - please advise on how I can set this. There is NO proxy but traffic does go through content filters, symantec gateway + Firewall.

8. Tested various vpn connections outbound to some other clients and all connect (IPsec Passthrough, NAT Transversal Draft + RFC) all work.

9. traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1 164.38.219.254 (164.38.219.254) 0.596 ms 0.344 ms 0.406 ms
2 192.168.240.2 (192.168.240.2) 2.692 ms 2.795 ms 2.695 ms
3 164.38.33.2 (164.38.33.2) 3.359 ms 2.737 ms 3.563 ms
4 164.38.32.252 (164.38.32.252) 4.423 ms 4.031 ms 3.837 ms
5 ip-204.246.200.73.gblx.net (204.246.200.73) 18.261 ms 13.827 ms 5.265 ms
6 64.213.33.210 (64.213.33.210) 16.941 ms 17.302 ms 17.227 ms
7 85.205.116.6 (85.205.116.6) 34.971 ms 34.698 ms 34.971 ms
8 * * *

10. External IP (from the subnet the unit is in) 164.38.32.170. The vss will be dhcp allocated an address which is in a public range but will be behind the later hiding address (ie 164.38.252.0/22). In the past we have had issues without a hiding address as reverse traffic attempts to go direct and is lost @ the firewall. VPN's primarily failed but with a hiding address, we resolved this issue.

11. Speed (during peak hours, each host is capped to 4Mb download and unlimted upload). speedtest results: Ping 10ms, 3.98Mbps DL, 12.48Mbps UL).

12. Serial Number of vss: 40120134644. Registered and showing correctly on Dashboard.

13. There is no block to any of the listed vodafone ip's.

14. FYI - This is not for corporate use. This is just a personal vss as our 'build' room has no reception.

15. Hardware: Edge Switching: Cisco 3750G, Core: Cisco 6509 - Wavestream to datacentre - QualysGuard - Checkpoint - Symantec -  fibre link to Azzuro telco rack - Azzuri Cloud - Internet.

16. There is no planned Vodafone maintance currently (bar the nightly ones due to kick off this evening for the week).

17. Assume our external IP is in your whitelist.

18. Very annoying there is no log file availability (or any meaningful feedback) to the vss as odds on, I could actually see where the problem was and possibly fix it....

19. Can you confirm if my vss is actually communicating with your severs correctly? I do not have a hub to hand to packet dump.

20. I have not de-registered it and re-registered it yet as I only registered it on Friday...

21. If your servers are seeing it - do we need to re-sync it??

22. Let me know if I have missed anything and I can check.

23. There is no xDSL line anywhere near to test the box with short of me taking it home. I can do this to confirm but that changes location and hardware...

I think most of the problems here stem from the fact the box is neither one thing nor the other - it is far too simple for IT literate people and gets far too complicated for the IT illiterate. Something more than a few lights would be nice - even a simple web-internface with details.... surely this would assist everyone???

Please let me know what we can do to get this working...

Hi

I had to power of my sure signal earlier today - 5 hours ago?  

The VSS has been working fine for several months previously.  I power the router up 1st and when it connected I power the VSS.

Since then the red power light is on and lthe second light is flashing the third light is off.

Serial number is 4011 360 1310.

Any help appreciated.

Take it back working now....

efesp

Hi,

I've had an original Sure Signal for over a year and after taking about three days to initially start working, it has worked fine up until now.

I recently went away on business for a couple of weeks and my missus switched the Sure Signal off at the wall (up until then, it had been continuously powered on for the last year!).

I have been back home for a week now, and after switching it back on, this useless, worthless piece of junk refuses to make a connection.

Initially, light 1 was on, light 2 flashed for a while then went solid and light 4 flashed for a short time before re-setting itself and starting again.

This went on for a day or so, and then only light 1 remained on, with light 2, occasionally flashing.

After re-setting the Sure Signal it would go through the same sequence, always finishing up with only a solid number 1 light.

Once or twice, but not every time, after re-setting the Sure Signal it would flash lights 123 together, then light 2 on its own, then lights 1 and 3 together, a few times, before then going through the same sequence as above (1 on, 1 on and 2 flashing, 1 and 2 on, then re-set itself). 

I have re-set the Sure Signal - no difference.

I have left it alone for periods of up to 72 hours - no difference.

I have re-started my router - no difference.

I have re-set my router - no difference.

I'm about five minutes away from smashing this thing with a hammer and cancelling my Vodafone contract.

My hub is a BT home hub 2, sn: CP0925JHRMZ

My Sure Signal is an original, sn: 21230690915

I have a solid green power light at the cable and a flashing orange light, too.

My broadband connection is stable and my hub recognises the Sure Signal.

Any help that anyone can give me before I take out my frustration on this piece of crap would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

Steve.

I am having the same problem as efesp.

Had an original VSS for a long time now (several year) and noticed yesterday it wasn't working.  All I have is light 1 on steady and light 2 flashing occasionally.

Nothing has changed in my setup for about a year and the only thing that changed then was my ISP.  Same router, same place, same items attached to it, same ISP etc.

I have:

- reset and rebooted the router numerous times.

- reset and rebooted the VSS.

- Setup a static IP in the router for teh VSS, although dont see why I would need to as I haven't done before.

- tracert looks OK

I haven't setup port forwarding and don't see what difference it would make as it has worked fine without it until now.

I am using an old virginmedia router (Netgear DG834G) which I have been using for a long time and never had a problem with it.  The VSS has been attached to this router from day 1 without a problem.

Any thoughts?

Wondering if it has anything to do with the 'scheduled maintenance' this week even though it is outside of the times VF have stated.