Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Light one on, light two flashing

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light’s on and light two flashes constantly
  • Light two does not go solid

Troubleshooting steps:

Wait 24 hours.
It can sometimes take up to 24 hours for the Sure Signal to fully register with the server. Before attempting any of the steps below, please wait 24 hours.

Check for planned maintenance.

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Check that your Sure Signal has registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you need to register it with us.

You’ll receive a text or email to let you know when the registration is complete and your Sure Signal won’t work until you’ve received this message.

To check your Sure Signal is registered, login to your My Vodafone Account and click on the 'My Sure Signal' tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status 'Registered'.

If you’ve not yet registered your Sure Signal, you can do this directly from the My Sure Signal page in your My Vodafone Account .

If you’re a Business customer, please register on our business Sure Signal page.

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

600 REPLIES 600

sbraynor
4: Newbie
Hi

Please can someone explain more clearly what is meant by this from the above post:

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Which IP address do I put against each Port number inbound and outbound.

Please bear in mind that I have very little knowledge of this - I just need telling what to put where. My router is a DGN2000.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Shirley

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi sbraynor

Thanks for your post here. There is a link in the post that you are refering to with guides on how to get this set up :)

Have you been through that?

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

philip42h
16: Advanced member

Please can someone explain more clearly what is meant by this ...

Which IP address do I put against each Port number inbound and outbound.

Please bear in mind that I have very little knowledge of this - I just need telling what to put where. My router is a DGN2000.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

Explicit instructions for a DGN2000 here.

The only additional IP address you will need is the one allocated to your SS box by your router and you should be able to find this in the router's DHCP client list. If you can't it may be easier to reserve an IP address for your SS box - e.g. 192.168.0.55 - using the feature on the router's LAN IP Setup page.

However, unless you have a particularly complex network set-up you should NOT need to establish any port forward rules at all. The SS box doesn't require to receive any unsolicited input from external sources, the router should not be blocking any outbound ports unless you have explicitly configured it to do so, and the router should direct any solicited response to the SS box automatically ... it may be that all that is required is to give your SS box sufficient time, without additional resets, to get itself up and running.
Philip

sbraynor

Hi Shirley,

Explicit instructions for a DGN2000 here.

The only additional IP address you will need is the one allocated to your SS box by your router and you should be able to find this in the router's DHCP client list. If you can't it may be easier to reserve an IP address for your SS box - e.g. 192.168.0.55 - using the feature on the router's LAN IP Setup page.

However, unless you have a particularly complex network set-up you should NOT need to establish any port forward rules at all. The SS box doesn't require to receive any unsolicited input from external sources, the router should not be blocking any outbound ports unless you have explicitly configured it to do so, and the router should direct any solicited response to the SS box automatically ... it may be that all that is required is to give your SS box sufficient time, without additional resets, to get itself up and running.

Thank you, Philip. Yes, I have tried to use those instructions, and I've set up a specified address for the SS. I did find them confusing, where they say "enter the above information", it doesn't say WHAT above information, and exactly where. As this is not a subject I am familiar with it is hard for me to guess. I have decided to buy the software that sets this up automatically, and I have asked Portforward to add my model of this router to their list so that I can hopefully set it up this way.

I agree I should not need to do this. However, whenever I have asked for help on this forum, the first question seems to be whether I have set up port forwarding, and until I can say yes with confidence I don't think I'm goping to get any help with getting it up and running.

Thanks again

Shirley

philip42h

Thank you, Philip. Yes, I have tried to use those instructions, and I've set up a specified address for the SS. I did find them confusing, where they say "enter the above information", it doesn't say WHAT above information, and exactly where. As this is not a subject I am familiar with it is hard for me to guess. I have decided to buy the software that sets this up automatically, and I have asked Portforward to add my model of this router to their list so that I can hopefully set it up this way.

I agree I should not need to do this. However, whenever I have asked for help on this forum, the first question seems to be whether I have set up port forwarding, and until I can say yes with confidence I don't think I'm goping to get any help with getting it up and running.

Thanks again

Shirley

Shirley,
PortForward have already added your model of router to their list ... the link I posted for you is to the PortFoward instructions applicable to setting up a Vodafone Sure Signal on a Netgear DGN2000.

If you see an advert for "PFconfig - Port Forwarding made easy $29.99" simply click on the link at the top right hand side of the page that says "Click here to skip this advertisement... "
Philip

sbraynor

Shirley,
PortForward have already added your model of router to their list ... the link I posted for you is to the PortFoward instructions applicable to setting up a Vodafone Sure Signal on a Netgear DGN2000.

If you see an advert for "PFconfig - Port Forwarding made easy $29.99" simply click on the link at the top right hand side of the page that says "Click here to skip this advertisement... "

Hi Philip

I have had to buy their software as I'm afraid my technical knowledge is not sufficient to follow the manual instructions - I was not sure which numbers to put in which boxes. Portforward have 2 versions of my router on their list that can currently be updated by their software, but neither of them work for me. I have sent them the error message, and their initial response that it is a different model number of the router from the ones they have on the list, I am waiting for them to let me know what the problem is.

Thanks for your help

Shirley

dinkybluebug
2: Seeker
Herrah... its working.

I must give vodafone their due... I rang the helpdesk and they put me through to 2nd line support.

they advised that they were going to reset my account and resynchronise things from their end.

They told me to stop pressing the reset button on my SS, as it takes 2 hours every time it gets pressed to get everything working.

Within 2 mins, different lights starting flashing - and within 3 hours its now working.

Marc

Methane Boy
Not applicable
Hi, this one has me really stumped. I have two Sure Signals already, one in the office and one at home - both are large areas with no signal so the VSSs have provided a much needed local signal. To get a greater coverage, I have invested in some more VSSs and all I get is the dreaded slow flashing light on each one I try to connect. The original VSSs are still working perfectly though and did straight out of their respective boxes, so I'm inclined to think that this isn't a firewall or port forwarding issue.

Does anyone have any insight or bright ideas?

thanks!

Hammarton
Not applicable
"Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP."

Does the above mean that I have to set up a forward to every one of those Ip addresses fro each port? ie: for Port 50 I have to forward it to each ip address?

ikell
Hello.

Router is a Belkin FSD 8636-4, phone is iphone 4.

Finally, after weeks of frustration and endless calls to Vodafone, I got my Sure signal working. After losing my internet for 10 days in September I was left with a solid power light and number 2 light flashing.

I followed the instructions from the Sure signal tech help regarding the ports on my router, rang onetel, my present ISP (who didn't know what I was talking about, both times I rang), as instructed, restarted the unit innumerable times, resynched, stood on one leg in the garden chanting "good fairy make my sure signal work", to no avail.

Last night, I read the post saying DON'T fiddle with the ports unless you have a complex network, which I don't, so I cleared all the port instructions I had put in the router and got a solid light on number two. This morning I have a full working sure signal to my iphone, though I can't add users yet.

I am pleased that I have finally got what I paid for, but want to point out that the clue to the problem was on this forum, and say thank you to the people who contribute to it, not from the Sure signal tech help who had me going through all sorts of convolutions.

Setting up Sure Signal is supposed to be simple, but this exercise has been anything but.