Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MVNO connection problems

vh1
2: Seeker

Hi,

I am currently using an MVNO sim (Talkmobile), which uses the Vodafone network.

I have a problem with registering with the MVNO (Talkmobile) when I am close proximity to a Vodafone Sure Signal v2 box.

Here are the details of the problem:

The building which I am currently working in has several Vodafone Sure Signal v2 boxes installed.

Mobile is not registered with Sure Signal

Mobile is set to use 2G/3G

Registration and full strength signal quality to Talkmobile is excellent prior to entering the building.

Once in the building I have either one of the following behaviours:

0/1 bar signal strength on Talkmobile or maximum signal strength (but not registered, emergency calls only)

Things I have tried and no change:

Reboot

Remove battery, remove sim, replace battery and reboot, followed by remove battery, add sim, replace battery and reboot

Searched for other networks and attempted to register with vodafone UK (no Talkmobile listed)

Switch to 2G only (no signal from vodafone UK at all)

Different handset

So I concluded the only logical thing is that it sees the strong vodafone UK 3G signal from the Sure Signal boxes and attempts to register on it. When that fails (because Vodafone does not allow the use of MVNO with Sure Signal) it cannot see the vodafone UK 3G signal from outside the building.

Is there a way I can force my mobile not to connect with the Sure Signal boxes or somehow get the Sure Signal boxes to have my mobile listed in some sort of deny list?

Any suggestions welcome (apart from the obvious, go and buy a vodafone sim)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vh1

Please ignore the previous post.

It appears to be the building in general has an overall problem with the vodafone signal (indoors) for some reason, hence why the sure signal boxes were installed in the first place.

Sure Signal was just complicating the issue. Thanks anyway.

Having looked at the Network Updates on the eforum, it appears there is a performance issue logged with the given postcode:

"We're currently looking at the performance of this site. There's no timescale for a resolution ...

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

vh1

Please ignore the previous post.

It appears to be the building in general has an overall problem with the vodafone signal (indoors) for some reason, hence why the sure signal boxes were installed in the first place.

Sure Signal was just complicating the issue. Thanks anyway.

Having looked at the Network Updates on the eforum, it appears there is a performance issue logged with the given postcode:

"We're currently looking at the performance of this site. There's no timescale for a resolution ...

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi vh1,

Thanks for updating your first post.

As your work postcode is listed on our Network Updates board, you can subscribe to the specific post and then you’ll get an email update when we update it.

Thanks,

Andrew

diztig
8: Helper
8: Helper
If you don't want your phone to use sure signal, try switching off the 3G option on your phone (ie set it to 2G only).

Sure Signal uses 2G only, so that could be a work-around for you.