Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Netgear DGND3700v2 - New Firmwear - VSS working

dorowe
4: Newbie

I have been trying to get my VSS to work with my Netgear router on a BT ADSL line since December.

I tried all the suggestions on this forum but could not get the VSS to connect.  All I saw in the router log was a DHCP request to the VSS every 30 seconds.

I progressed this issue through several routes but ultimately it was Netgear who provided a solution through new firmware. As soon as this firmware  had been applied, the lights changed on the VSS and it immediately started to work. 

I reamin unimpressed by the stance (passing the buck) taken by Vodafone in view of the number of VSS customers who had reported problems with this router but full marks to Netgear for methodically going through the fault resolution process and providing a solution.  In all other respects this is a good router so getting the VSS to work is a significant benefit.

8 REPLIES 8

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi dorowe,

Thanks for contacting us and I'm glad your device is up and running now. 

If it was Netgear's firmware update that resolved the issue, nothing that we would have done would have got it up and running for you I'm afraid.  There's so many different combinations with ISP/router/VSS version etc that we can't confirm that any issues we'll be able to resolve without the support of third party manufacturers. 

As mentioned at the beginning though I'm glad it's up and running for you and you know where we are if there's anything you'd like our assistance with in the future.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil

I think the issue with Vodafone was the complete absence of any diagnostics and the broad nature of the fix suggestions that lacked relenvancy.  It was not helpful or relevant to suggest that I should contact my ISP (BT) as there was nothing relevant for them to do nor did they have any understanding (why should they?) of the issues relating to VSS.

It was also unhelpful to have doubts raised about the line speed (BT upload just 340kps).

I did revert at obe time to the BT Home Hub but I remain doubtful that it did work reliably so there may be more work required for BT ADSL users who use the standard home hub offering.

Ultimately full marks to Netgear for stepping up to fix the problem.  At the Vodafone end some significant work needed to improve the diagnostics so that users get relevant information as to why the VSS is not working.

Hi dorowe

Do you mind having a look and telling us the version number of the new firmware for the router? I have the same problem with VSS on the same router but have been unable to get it to work. Just wanted to check if I have the latest firmware as you do.

Many thanks

Emre

Firmware Version
V1.1.00.12_1.00.12_t3

Can confirm that this resolved the issues and the VSS works 100% despite the upload speed on the BT ADSL line being just a touch over the defined speed. 

You will probaly need to contact Netgear support as this was not a publicly available update.  

Thanks.. Need to check my firmware version when I'm home tonight then. I think mine is a bit outdated.

Checking the support site, they have 1.1.00.14 as the latest version. Wondering if that'll work too..

If I PM you my email address, would you mind sending me the details of your contact at Netgear so I can get in touch as well?

Many thanks

You are best logging on to the Netgear support site & just refer to my example for fixing the issues with the VSS

Thanks.

I think the latest one available to download 1.1.00.14 should fix this issue as well.

Release notes include the IP setting issue for IPv6 (which was the root cause of the VSS not connecting) among bug fixes.

Will try tonight, keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback.  I was so relieved that the Netgear actually worked that I did not look into how this had been achieved!