Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Old Sure Signal Device

wwhyte92
7: Helper
7: Helper

Morning all,

My wife and I are moving into our first house together this week (yay!) but after popping over there last night it seems Vodafone signal in the area is non-existant (boo!). Before we moved I checked using the online coverage checker which showed that 3G/4G would definitely be available outdoors and they might be variable indoors (2G apparently fine indoors and outdoors), however yesterday we couldn't get any signal at all and so couldn't make or receive any calls or texts until we were about 10 minutes away from the house.

I have an old Sure Signal device from around 2012 that I haven't used for 3 or so years which, once we get the internet connected at the new place later this week, I was going to try. Does anybody know the likelihood of this still working? Or if Vodafone will upgrade it to one of the newer devices because I had already purchased it a few years ago?

Naturally I'm irritated that the coverage is non-existant in the area considering the coverage checker says it should be good online, and if my wife and I can't use our devices at home because of this I'll be majorly hacked off. Hence why I'm hoping this old Sure Signal will work out, so any advice you guys have got would be really helpful.

Much apprecaited 🙂

18 REPLIES 18

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @wwhyte92

You need to check the Sure Signal Terms and Conditions from the website.  If you scroll down to 'your use of the Sure Signal', there is a paragraph for not using the Sure Signal for 12 months.

Unfortunately if you have not used the Sure Signal for 12 months, it would have been removed from the network.  Your only option would be a new Sure Signal.

If you have a compatable device, the other option would be WiFi calling.  There is further information on WiFi calling below.

WiFi calling

@AnnS,

Thanks for that. Having just had a look at the Terms and Conditions on the website you're right. However, they do state that Vodafone would contact me to inform of any suspension, restriction or termination of services and I haven't received any of that.

I'll fish out the Terms and Conditions for my Sure Signal when we get round to that box as I presume they will have changed over time and see what was agreed to at the start of the term.

I've been trying my Sure Signal and it isn't letting me register the device again. There's nothing in the box that suggests that the service would be cut off after so long, and I don't see how that is fair to customers to stop us being able to use a device. Especially as I wasn't given any warning as the current terms and conditions suggest oen should be given.

With regards to the Wifi calling. I was told when I took out my new contract earlier in the year that I would be able to get Wifi calling no problem with the LG G5 by the salesperson on Live Chat (this was just as/before the device was launched). However having spoken to someone else on Live Chat subsequently it appears that although the G5 is capable of the feature, Vodafone don't or won't support it for whatever reason. Safe to say I was rather displeased when I found that out after I had already got the phone. And my current situation seems to have rubbed salt in the wound.

@wwhyte92

Sorry to hear of the situation at hand.

So that we can discuss your options, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hi @EricChester,

I have followed the instructions within the private message however thus far there has been no real help. Vodafone have tried calling me twice over the weekend with both calls going to voicemail as I haven't been available to take the call (and at home I am unable to sustain calls with the lack of signal). After each call I received an email informing me that they tried to contact me, to which I responded to both asking to converse via email due to work commitments and being unable to sustain a call at home. However I am yet to have any response to these emails.

Any ideas?

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@wwhyte92,

We've received your emails and we'll be in touch to discuss the options of Wi-Fi calling.

As the Sure Signal hasn't been used for so long, we'll be unable to reregister this and you'll need to purchase a new one.

@DaveCD

The Sure Signal device is registered and I have been able to add numbers to the account online, the only issue I am having with it currently is that the lights will not stop flashing.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@wwhyte92,

The lights continuously flashing indicate a failure, which is down to the SureSignal no longer having a license enabling it to work.

So we can be sure, please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information:

• The Sure Signal Serial number
  • The lights you're seeing on the Sure Signal
  • The results of a traceroute

VSS Traceroute command

• On a PC:
    • Click on Start and select Run
    • Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
    • A black box will appear
    • In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
    • Paste the output of this command into your reply

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

@DaveCD

As explained previously, the Sure Signal device has already been re-activated by a Vodafone representative whom I spoke to over the phone some time ago, so there are no issues with licences. Please see below for the results of the tests as requested:

• Speed test: 9.05Mbps download, 0.85Mbps upload
  • Ping test: 21ms
  • IP: 192.168.1.65
  • Sure signal serial number: 40120515206
  • Lights: Power - solid, System - flashing, Phone - flashing
  • Results of Traceroute command:
    • Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 8 ms 4 ms 1 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
      2 * * * Request timed out.
      3 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms 31.55.185.177
      4 14 ms 18 ms 16 ms 31.55.185.176
      5 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms core1-hu0-0-0-1.colindale.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.128]
      6 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 195.99.127.83
      7 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms t2c3-et-3-3-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.238]
      8 15 ms 16 ms 18 ms 166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]
      9 * * * Request timed out.
      10 * * * Request timed out.
      11 * * * Request timed out.
      12 * * * Request timed out.