Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Old Sure Signal Device

wwhyte92
7: Helper
7: Helper

Morning all,

My wife and I are moving into our first house together this week (yay!) but after popping over there last night it seems Vodafone signal in the area is non-existant (boo!). Before we moved I checked using the online coverage checker which showed that 3G/4G would definitely be available outdoors and they might be variable indoors (2G apparently fine indoors and outdoors), however yesterday we couldn't get any signal at all and so couldn't make or receive any calls or texts until we were about 10 minutes away from the house.

I have an old Sure Signal device from around 2012 that I haven't used for 3 or so years which, once we get the internet connected at the new place later this week, I was going to try. Does anybody know the likelihood of this still working? Or if Vodafone will upgrade it to one of the newer devices because I had already purchased it a few years ago?

Naturally I'm irritated that the coverage is non-existant in the area considering the coverage checker says it should be good online, and if my wife and I can't use our devices at home because of this I'll be majorly hacked off. Hence why I'm hoping this old Sure Signal will work out, so any advice you guys have got would be really helpful.

Much apprecaited 🙂

18 REPLIES 18

@wwhyte92 I'd recommend a reset of your Sure Signal to see if that stops the flashing.

@Charles

I have pressed (and held in) the reset button on the device previously but to no avail. Is there another way of resetting the device?

@wwhyte92 I've checked today, and we last had contact with your Sure Signal on 26 Oct at 5.35pm.

Is everything working now?

Have the lights stopped flashing?

@Charles

They have indeed, it seems to be working again now. Huzzah!

Any idea what might have been causing the unit to take so long to connect up? Just for future reference?

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@wwhyte92 Fantastic to hear! 

There could be multiple reasons as to why it wasn't working, however we're not too sure if it was anything server related from our end as we weren't able to locate any issues. 

The device may have not configured correctly with your ISP (internet service provider). 

If you happen to have any further issues, kindly let us know. 

gsmsecure
12: Established

Wwhyte

Can you drop me a line..

I am currently working with Trading Standards and would like to know if Vodafone are forcing you to either purchase a new unit or use an alternative option other than reactivation of your unit.

I am not sure this falls foul of Fair Contracts in termination of a device you chose not to use over 12 months and would like to investigate this further, as paying £100 for a device which is then removed from the system could be foul of contract law regardless of the Terms offered.

Can you drop me a line or put an update here..

There is no reason why this device cannot be reinstated to service and this may be a route you should pursue.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

@gsmsecure

Thanks for your message. Just to update you as to the progress of this. As advised via email I took the unit into a Vodafone store so they could diagnose/check out the unit, however upon asking members of staff they simply told me they don't deal with things like that and I would need to call the Tech Team. Beside the general waste of time and expense this caused me to get to the store, to be 'fobbed off' by the staff is frankly rude.

As outlined previously, I have been told by another member of staff via telephone that my Sure Signal is registered and I should be able to use it (I have already added numbers to the device via my online account). Otherwise the only real resolution I seem to being provided with is to purchase a new device, or to attempt to call the Tech Team. As good as this may be for general queries, as my issue is not having signal at my home, I quite simply cannot hold a call with the team. A matter which seems to go over the heads of everyone I am in contact with currently.

After being missold my contract initially (being informed I would have access to WiFi caling to get around such an issue as this, which I subsequently have been told isn't possible for my device), if I am unable to get my Sure Signal device working I will be looking to cancel my contract with Vodafone soon as I am disgusted with the service I am paying for every month and not being able to even use the contracted services.

gsmsecure
Who is your broadband provider and what model router have they supplied?

Thanks for the update..

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

@gsmsecure 

My provider is BT and they provided a home hub. I only became a customer 2 months or so ago so the router is up to date.