Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone won't stay connected to Sure Signal

POBaker
2: Seeker
Hi, A week or so ago I received a sure signal to counteract the patchy reception in my house. I have set it up and it appears to be connected to the network fine (the first 2 lights are solid white), very occasionally (like if I stand next to it) I can get my phone to connect to it (an iPhone 5s, but also my wifes iphone 5 has the same issue). However the connection will never sustain and it will drop after a few minutes - and then not reconnect again at all. I have tried a number of things - moving it further from my router (though that is hard when you have to plug it in to the router!) and also plugging it in to another router, but nothing seems to work. The lights suggest it is connected to the network ok, it just dosent seem to want any phones to join it... I have Virgin Media 60mb broadband, using a VM supplied router with an apple time capsule plugged in providing a wireless network (then multiple apple airport expresses around the house). I have tried the sure signal on each of these routers - every time it connects to the network but phones wont connect to it (for long at least). Any ideas? Phil.
7 REPLIES 7

POBaker

I see from other threads that this information might help;

Your speed test results from here. Ping 12ms Download 20.98 Mbps Upload 6.51 Mbps

Your ping test results from here. Packet Loss 0% Ping 19ms Jitter 3ms

Your external IP address from here. Your IP Address is 86.24.137.9

Your IPV6 Address is ::ffff:5618:8909

The results of a traceroute.

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 6 ms 1 ms PHILIP-BAKERS-T [10.0.1.1]

2 * * 7 ms cpc4-horn3-2-0-gw.6-1.cable.virginmedia.com [86. 24.137.1]

3 8 ms 7 ms 15 ms cosh-core-1a-ae1-1273.network.virginmedia.net [8 0.3.160.237]

4 13 ms 15 ms 12 ms winn-bb-1a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43 .163.209]

5 19 ms 16 ms 21 ms manc-bb-1b-as7-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43 .163.189]

6 19 ms 14 ms 17 ms manc-bb-1a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253 .187.177]

7 17 ms 17 ms 19 ms manc-bb-1d-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10 5.159.86]

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 34 ms 33 ms 39 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

11 32 ms 35 ms 34 ms 85.205.116.2

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Your Sure Signal serial number: 40132714441

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there POBaker,

Thanks for posting.

I edited your post to make it easier to read the traceroute and other results. Hope you don't mind :Smiling:

I can see the VSS connected with our servers last night about 2 hours after you posted. How are things today?

What happens if you take the Time Capsule out of the equation?

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi, Thanks for the reply - im not sure what happened with the formatting, it looked fine when I hit submit, thanks for sorting it. Im at work at the minute so when I get home tonight i'll try unplugging the time capsule and see if the wireless is interfering with the VSS then let you know. Thanks.

ok I tried unplugging the timecapsule and connecting the VSS to the vrigin super-hub (with no wireless network running)

Probem not solved....

I have noticed that doinig something like this works first of all then I lose connection again. Immediately after turning the time capsule off the light on the VSS came up and I had 5 bars of 3G signal on my iphone, but 5 mins later it had disconnected and didnt reconnect.

I can also force a similar reaction by turning on/off wireless on my phone - it then connects right away but soon loses the connection again.

Any other ideas?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi POBaker,

That's bizarre.

Thanks for trying my suggestion though.

Would it be possible for you to try the VSS on another connection over the weekend?

Maybe at a friend, relative or neighbour's house?

Cheers,

LeeH

Hi - I know this has taken a while (ive been away!), but finally managed to try my SS on a new internet connection this week. I get exactly the same problem - the sure signal connects fine (this was on my parents router; BT, nothing complex). My iphone will not stay connected to the sure signal at all.

Does this point to a problem with the SS box?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi POBaker,

It does indeed look to be an issue with the unit. You can raise a warranty repair over the phone or in store. See here for full details. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben