Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Please Re-Sync my Sure Signal

tjm397
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just changed handsets and as such have a new nano sim for my iPhone 5.

Unfortunetly, my home Suresignal V1 unit is not recognising the new sim and hence not allowing me to connect with 3G. I am able to connect at 3G to sure signal units at my place of work which shows that the new sim is registered to the vodafone systems but is not being picked up by my home sure signal unit.

My wifes phone, is able to connect at 3G to our home unit which shows that this is functioning correctly.

I have tried the recommended steps for a factory reset on the unit but this is not working.

Similar issues on the forum seem to suggest that a vodafone re-sync is required so I would ask if you could please do this.

SureSignal unit: 21197146281

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

UPDATE:

I took my non-functiong SS v1 to work today and plugged it in next other working SS boxes.

After 5mins I had solid power light and after 10 I had power and light 2 solid. Light 4 flashed for 5 mins then went off.

I figured that this would just take time to get going.

I brought the unit home and plugged it back into my netgear DGND4000 router.

After 2 hours of solid power and light 2, light 4 eventually came on and I now have 3G on my phone.

Answer: SSv1 is NOT compatible with Netgear DGND4000 dsl router for initial startup. However, once this has been achieved on another line, it is capable of building the tunnel and offering 3G on the original line. Not sure what part of the initial start-up config process it has a problem with as I have detailed all the things I tried with it including port forwarding, dmz hosting the internal IP, switching off QoS, open and strict NAT, allowing WAN side pinging etc...

From this point on I know that:

If I change the owner SIM for the SS I will need to re-provision the SS on a different line.

If I add additonal guest numbers, these will filter down to the SS ok and not require a re-provision.

Lets hope I don't change my SIM anytime soon.

Thanks for the help. I hope this can be of use for others.

View solution in original position

26 REPLIES 26

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tjm397

It looks like you've already done some troubleshooting :).

I've re-synced the Sure Signal, you’ll need to do a factory re-set to complete the process.

VSS Factory Reset

* Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
* Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
* Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
* The VSS should come online within the hour

Let me know how you get on :).

Thanks

Sukhi

Sukhi,

Thanks for the re-sync but this doesn't seemed to have cleared the issue.

I have followed the guide to factory reset the unit about 5 times now, but my unit does not respond in the way you listed.

* If I hold the rest button all the lights come on after ~6 seconds, not 30 seconds. If I continue to hold the reset button to 30seconds the lights still remain on. They do not change no matter how long I hold the button in for.

* I keep the rest button held and remove and restore the power cable.

* After ~15seconds the lights flash in sequence from 1 to 4 then 1 remains on.

* The VSS comes back online within 5 minutes.

After coming back online I still do not get a 3G signal from the unit where as my wife does.

It does not seem as if the VSS reset is behaving correctly.

Are you able to see if the unit has picked up the new config off your servers?

Are you able to force a reset from Vodafones end?

Any other hints?

Thanks,

Tom

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tom,

Please can you try another reset, but when you remove the power cable, please remove the Ethernet cable as well and then complete the rest of the reset before plugging the Ethernet cable back in?

If this still doesn’t work, I’d recommend deregistering and reregistering the Sure Signal.

James

James,

I tried the complete reset again but did as you said by removing the network cable at the same time as the power cable.  This still had no effect.

I then deregistered the sure-signal waited a short while and re-registered. The box came up within the hour but I did still not have a 3G signal. My wife got her 3G signal back.

I then de-registered again and left overnight. In the morning the SureSignal showed just a power light so I was sure it had been de-registered correctly. I then re-registered the suresignal. Since re-registering the unit this morning (tuesday at 6am) the Suresignal has not come back online. I left it for 10 hours whilst I went to work and when I came back it was cycling the following light pattern.

1+2+3

1+3

all off

I have reset the unit again and it returns to this light pattern.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tjm397,

Thanks for getting back to me.

This light sequence is the setup sequence which will normally be finished within 24 hours.

As you’ve reset this again, please can you leave this for 24 hours to see if the light sequence changes?

If it doesn’t , it could mean it’s faulty.

I did notice that there is a location profile change detected on the registration, which can be sorted by changing the registered postcode to ST1 5GP and then back to yours after 5 minutes.

James

James,

Another 24 hours and nothing, still flashing away.

I have verified via the firewall log that it is polling a Vodafone IP on port 4500 but nothing.

I have a netgear dgnd4000 router and wonder if it is related to that.
I have tried port forwarding the recommended ports, placing the SS as the default DMZ host and turning off Upnp but nothing.

I'm going to take it to work tomorrow ( where I have a number of functioning units) and try to get it going.

I'll let you know.

UPDATE:

I took my non-functiong SS v1 to work today and plugged it in next other working SS boxes.

After 5mins I had solid power light and after 10 I had power and light 2 solid. Light 4 flashed for 5 mins then went off.

I figured that this would just take time to get going.

I brought the unit home and plugged it back into my netgear DGND4000 router.

After 2 hours of solid power and light 2, light 4 eventually came on and I now have 3G on my phone.

Answer: SSv1 is NOT compatible with Netgear DGND4000 dsl router for initial startup. However, once this has been achieved on another line, it is capable of building the tunnel and offering 3G on the original line. Not sure what part of the initial start-up config process it has a problem with as I have detailed all the things I tried with it including port forwarding, dmz hosting the internal IP, switching off QoS, open and strict NAT, allowing WAN side pinging etc...

From this point on I know that:

If I change the owner SIM for the SS I will need to re-provision the SS on a different line.

If I add additonal guest numbers, these will filter down to the SS ok and not require a re-provision.

Lets hope I don't change my SIM anytime soon.

Thanks for the help. I hope this can be of use for others.

Hello,
We have recently upgraded our blackberry. We're using the same sim, but have put it in the new handset. Since we've had the new phone, it has not connected to sure signal. We have tried resetting it to factory settings but it hasn't helped.

Could you please re-sync our sure start, to see if this helps the FSN number is 40123549830.

Thank you
T

Hi Usatourhouse,

I’ve resynced your Sure Signal for you now.

So that the resync completes, can you do a factory reset for me:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights display, release the reset button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in about an hour

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andy