Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Signal Strength

chriswinsor
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, just recvd & installed SS to solve poor reception in large house with stone walls,seems to be working fine if phone used close to SS (which is installed in home office where reception was fine B4) but where previously poor or no signal problem persists. Your help desk suggested set phone to wcdma only but why?? (this only gives a marginal if any improvement) do you really want me to reset the phone every time I go out /come in. Either this product works or it doesn't. You claim range of up to 30 meters but I cannot use it within 10 meters. Is this product oversold? or is mine faulty. Why doesn't it connect to my WiFi?

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

C:\Users\Chris>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     7 ms     7 ms     9 ms  10.25.252.1
  3     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  aztw-core-2a-ae6-622.network.virginmedia.net [80
.1.243.5]
  4    17 ms    13 ms    13 ms  brnt-bb-1c-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.
240.173]
  5    15 ms    13 ms    13 ms  brhm-bb-1c-et-410-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.
253.175.210]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    34 ms    34 ms    35 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  8    34 ms    32 ms    33 ms  85.205.116.6
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *

Serial number of unit 40133470548

rgds Chris

Hi Chris,

Your traceroute, speed test and ping test are fine.

Your IP address is on our whitelist, so no problems there either.

The thicker the stone walls in a property, the less chance a signal will have to pass through.

There shouldn’t be any problem with connecting the Sure Signal to your hardwired router; you’d just need to make sure the correct ports are forwarded.

There’s more information on this here.

You can certainly use Wi-Fi extenders with a Sure Signal, there have been posts from other community members to say that they work well for them.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks,

Andrew

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi chriswinsor,

Some building materials can still cause poor penetration for signal so I'd recommend experimenting with the placement of your Sure Signal device. The 30 metre range is an optimum distance for an open area so results can vary depending on the type of environment the Sure Signal is used. 

If you're not satisfied with the performance of the Sure Signal (and the guide that Matt has supplied doesn't help), you can take advantage of the 7 day cooling off period and call 191 to arrange a return/exchange. 

Many thanks, Ben

Hi Matt

here goes

speed test D/S 62.78 mps U/S 2.99

Ping: 19ms Jitters1ms

IP add. 94.171.254.240

cant do final bit. got all info but cannot paste to this dialogue box

Hi Ben,your reply is a bit worrying,houses are normally made of the same stuff,stone,concrete bricks etc. or mix of all. If mine was made of wood I wouldnt have this problem "it is a 16th century stone built house" You should know if your kit works or not in stone houses after all it is precisely because I have a problem that I purchased this gizmo. Regarding the SS location,How can I move it as it has to be besides the router beside a power source & as most sockets are at ground level its pretty difficult to put it anywhere else. Q. can I plug it into my WiFi ext. or my hardwired wifi router? Please advise if you have some solutions regarding location.

rgds chris winsor